Longest possible co2 generation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyd

Reaction score
So how do you do it? First off this is for a co2 generator for a fish tank. I have been doing it for a while now just with bread yeast and table sugar but it is inconsistent and needs to be changed every week. I'm trying to find something that will be relatively inexpensive and generate co2 for a long time.

I figured I would ask on here since I have made a few batches of mead and noticed that they are still bubbling for over a month now. Is there anything else that acts similar? (Does mead usually go that long?)

Thanks for any help

I guess anything that starts with a lot of sugar and ends with little, so a mead would be perfect, that or wine. Maybe get a good yeast so the result tastes okay!

Okay.. You have me puzzled, what lives in your fish tank that needs co2? Is it plants? I have been looking into setting up a little guppy tank for a while and I don't think those little fellers want co2.

So how do you do it? First off this is for a co2 generator for a fish tank. I have been doing it for a while now just with bread yeast and table sugar but it is inconsistent and needs to be changed every week. I'm trying to find something that will be relatively inexpensive and generate co2 for a long time.

I figured I would ask on here since I have made a few batches of mead and noticed that they are still bubbling for over a month now. Is there anything else that acts similar? (Does mead usually go that long?)

Thanks for any help

A bottle of co2 fits all your criteria.

Yea co2 is for the plants. Would use a co2 canister but don't really have the 100 or 200 dollars needed for all the equipment, it would be much easier but more expensive.

Right now I'm useing champagne yeast and sugar. Is there a better yeast I can use?

Sounds like your making some undrinkable stuff. Champagne yeast can ferment up to about 16% abv or so if it has enough sugars, most likely less than that in your case given the lack of nutrients in your hooch. You may want to consider fermenting some white welches grape juice, add some extra sugar, toss in a few raisins & boom! Now you might be able to drink the stuff :)

Ill give it a go grape juice is cheap. I'm also adding some yeast nutrient thinking it might make it last longer.
The recipie I have been using is:
2 quart batches 1/2 tsp each of champagne yeast, Yeast nutrient, And baking soda. 2 cups of sugar and enough water to fill

I have been told the baking soda helps it be more of a consistent ferment

Back