Honey Falconer's Flight IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I just tried my first all-honey beer and it came out really nice. I realized it was gluten-free after it was finished but the real motivation was to make beer from tropical ingredients (I'm still figure out hop substitutes obviously).

I mixed a solution of honey and water with a gravity of about 1.040 and used it to make beer in the SMASH or Single Malt Single Hop concept in which most of the flavor comes from the hops. I used Falconer's Flight, which have a very citrusy quality to them, both for bittering and for aroma, adding 1 oz at start and then again at 10 mins and at flameout. Fermented with Safale-05.

The result is a really refreshing almost lemony beer that doesn't taste the slightest bit like honey. I have another honey beer in fermentation right now that's heavily flavored with Citra hops, basically a honey knock-off of Northern Brewer Kama Citra. I'm eventually hoping to try out some kind of molasses style beer that perhaps approximates a porter. Do let me know if anyone has tips on how to work with these fermentables. Thanks, Brian

Latest posts

Back