Alpine Spring Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-adjusted this should be much closer in color. Also only a 60 min boil needed as Alpine spring has a bite in the end.
Alpine Spring version 3 - Premium American Lager (1C)Brewer shadows69
Date 04/16/2013
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 90%
OG 1.052 FG 1.013
ABV 5.0% Bitterness 18.2 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 5.8 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 171
Fermentables
Total grain: 8.500 lbName Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 7.500 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Honey Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 3.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm
Briess - Wheat Malt, White Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 86% 2.6 srm
Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Tettnang 4.8% 0.250 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 2.9
Tettnang 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.8
Tettnang 4.8% 0.750 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 11.5
Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP800 - Pilsner Lager Yeast Lager Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

Loved this beer so I attempted a clone. This is my recipe for a 6 gal batch

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 0.50 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 13
1.0 pkg Southern German Lager (White Labs #WLP83
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15

The result is a bit heavier and sweeter than Alpine Spring. Also the hop character is very muted. My gravity was only a little higher that the SA website lists so I am wondering if the use some sugar to dry it. The honey malt I used was a bit too much, I'll scale back to about 3/4 lb next time and maybe make this beer a bit smaller.

I am thinking of adding cascades or centennial. I know it is not listed on thier website but I don't see how just tett is getting that citrusy character.Also, I want to bottle some of this up for a competition but I have no idea what style to call this. Most of the reviews I see call it a premium american lager but no way. It is too hi OG and way too sweet for that. My attempt has dropped fairly clear so what style should I enter this as?

What yeast did you use? Also mash lower that should dry it out a little. There has to be something else in there that's not listed on the website to give it the citrus taste. Mine was close but to smooth. I am guessing its the yeast they use.

Based on the profile on SA website I went withsouthern german lager yeast wlp833. Maytry an american lager yeast next time. Good idea on the mash temps still dontknow what to call it.

I would think its still a lager class even though it is sweet. I think you need to scale down the honey malt. Seem abit over kill to me. I generally never use more then 8oz because of the fact of it being so sweet. I assume you lagered yours for 8 weeks?

Guys I'm a lil late to the convo but was looking for a few answers due to me being a new home brewer. As far as this tread goes some things say (row 2 malt) and I'm not sure what that means also I've only brewed with malt extract what is different about brewing with all grain? Thanks guys for your help

Alpine spring is one of my favorite beers and this will be my first AG batch and I'm really looking forward to brewing this. I have a question about the water to use. Is a certain profile being used as a reference point or just using a water profile suitable for the SRM? Any help would be awesome

Beach bum....look up all grain and partial mesh brewing on this site. The answer to your question can be long winded and answered better there. Short answer from me is all gain means everything is brewed right from the crushed gain. Malt is a power or syrup. To me hands down all grain is the best tasting beer on can make.
byrone...i use home tap/filtered water. I assume if your water tastes good right from the tap, it would be fine for your beer as well. Since its your first ag you won't know till you brew.

Thanks shadows69 ill deffenitly look that up also I use Poland spring when I brew that's ok right. I'm not missing anything that so-post to be in the water am I

As a general rule unless your water is particularly hard or soft it's probably ok to use straight. Using a charcoal filter or potassium metabisulfite would help if your municipality uses chloramines to sanitize ( most do these days). This beer is not very hoppy so if your water is high in sulfates which accentuate hop bitterness it would help to add calcium chloride. Check your city's water report for that info.

No, I would brew a batch with spring water and a batch with tap water, see if you can tell the difference. If not save your money and stick with the tap water. Just my 2 cents.

Ok ill give it a shot, I just feel that the water by me has alot of chlorine so I like drinking and using Poland spring

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Try adding a little campden tablet to your tap water. 1/4 tablet at most. smash it up real good before you add it right in the beginning. That should pull the chlorine out of your water profile. you can find campden at your local brew store. Also used for wine to finish before bottling.

This is version 1. Still to dark but a little more tweaking is needed.

Alpine Spring - Premium American Lager Version #1
Brewer Shadows69
Date 01/05/2013
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 90%
OG 1.052 FG 1.014
ABV 5.0% Bitterness 26.7 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 6.8 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 172

Fermentables

Total grain: 8.625 lb

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 7.000 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Honey Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 73% 1.3 srm
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm

Hops
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.6
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.0
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 19.1

Yeast
WLP800 - Pilsner Lager Yeast Lager Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

WP_20130513_001.jpg

This was just put on gas yesterday but I couldn't wait any longer to try it. I used shadows69 version 3 recipe and the colour is pretty much identical. I don't have the equipment to lager yet so I used wyeast kolsch instead with a 1L starter. It is very tasty with great aroma and overall fairly close to the original. There is more hop aroma with the SA beer though. I dry hopped with an half oz of tettnang that was left over from brew day but more is needed. I'll be brewing this again this weekend but will dry hopping with 2oz's or more this time. I will give an update when done. Thank you for posting this recipe shadows69.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Nice byrone. I'm thinking maybe keep the dry hop the same and add little more hops to the end of boil. I too noticed the hop taste is a little low in both version 1 and 2. If you get closer please post your changes. I'm currently working on Sam Adams summer ale. This is another favorite of mine.

Shadows69, did you ever formulate a Summer Ale clone?

Here's the one I do every year, it comes out pretty close to the original.

Sam Summer Clone

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 4.0 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

2 lbs Bavarian Wheat DME (Full Boil)
3 lbs 4.0 oz Light LME (15min)
1 lbs Dingmans Pilsner Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs Bries Torrified Red Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Bries CaraPils
1.00 oz US Hallertauer [4.3 %] (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz US Hallertauer [4.3 %] (30 min) Hops
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 oz Lemon Zest (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 oz Orange Zest (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Crushed
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

2.5gal mash @150° for 60min.
1.5gal sparge @ 165° I steeped the grains in the sparge water for 10mins before sparge.
1 week in primary around 65degrees then 2 weeks secondary.

When I keg, I hit it with 20psi and let it sit at room temp for 1 week before chilling.

This keg always empties really fast on those hot summer days.

Let me know if you have a different version, I'm always looking for new ideas.

The one Sam Adam's seasonal with detectable levels of hops is no more :mad:
Now replaced by Cold Snap, a supposed 'Witbier' like Blue Moon...

Version 3 is as close as I ciuld get to it. Is this cold snap any good I have yet to try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

Loving all the ideas here. I'm on deck to do a spring beer for an upcoming dinner and think I am going to try version 3 here or something darn close. Based on the comments, probably 1oz dry hop and maybe a smidge of lemon zest at flame out. Will post my results.

Loving all the ideas here. I'm on deck to do a spring beer for an upcoming dinner and think I am going to try version 3 here or something darn close. Based on the comments, probably 1oz dry hop and maybe a smidge of lemon zest at flame out. Will post my results.

I was thinking along the same lines as you. lemon zest and dry hopping. however, I am moving in the next couple months so I might not get to this before hand. be sure to post how yours comes out!

I had the SA "cold snap" on tap. It has a weird after taste to it. Its nothing like alpine spring ale. SA needs to bring back alpine spring and scrap the cold snap.

I had the SA "cold snap" on tap. It has a weird after taste to it. Its nothing like alpine spring ale. SA needs to bring back alpine spring and scrap the cold snap.

I think that's the Hibiscus and plum you're tasting. For some unknown reason Hibiscus seems to be one of latest experimental ingredients. Magic Hat had in a brew last year, Sam Adams this year, and I know there are other brews doing the same.

I had a chance to try cold snap as well and I'm really missing alpine spring now. Don't get me wrong cold snap is not a bad beer but it's no alpine spring.

I brewed this back in February and tapped the keg in early June. It is an easy drinking beer and just right for spring. I followed the recipe below, and divided the quantities by 2 to make a 5 gallon batch. I've liked it, and so have my friends and family.

007cable: Below is the original recipe I made scaled to 10 gallons for you. If you do want to make it more towards the real thing, I would suggest adding more Tettnang toward the end of the batch and then also dry hop with some. I found that my first attempt at this was a tad too sweet so upping the perceived IBU's via some later additions will help in this a lot. I think my main issue was going for the 19 IBU's listed on the SA site, they DID NOT say they dry hopped this beer last year when I made it. Either way the original recipe was not bad at all, just not an exact clone. I would stick with the Kolsch yeast and maybe add some wheat malt if want some added cloudiness.

Please let us know how it turns out, I am probably going to make this up again soon.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.66 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------