Minimum Headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
I just popped a Wit into my fermentor on Sun night. All I had available was my 5 gal carboy so I did about a 4.75 gal batch with little headspace and just opted for a blowoff tube. Everything is bubbling nicely, but one thing I didn't consider was the loss of krausen/possible yeast through the blowoff as my foam grew.

For a wit, is there a minimum amount of headspace you need, and did I chance losing too much yeast in the first couple days of blowoff?

You'd be happier with more headspace, but you're not going to lose so much yeast that fermentation will be damaged.

Keep track of how much blows out (I'd guess close to a half gallon) and next time you'll have a better idea of what the optimal volume of that container is.

You'll be fine. I like having more head space so I don't have to bother with a blow off tube. However, those Belgian yeasts can be ornery and usually there is never enough head space.

Back