Homebrewstuff 1500w heat stick proper grounding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BredStik

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know what's the proper way of grounding the brew kettle when installing one of these (http://www.homebrewstuff.com/1500w-ss-heat-stick-with-weldless-gasket-kit.html).

715Oros%2BwtL._SY355_.jpg

Does the base of the element (where the threads are) have to make contact with the kettle? To ensure proper seal, I've had to put a gasket on both the inside and outside of the pot and the threads are covered with silicone tape, thus preventing the element base to make contact with the kettle and I am looking for a way to make a proper ground connection...

Thank you

Not an electrician here, but since that plug only has 2 prongs is it even possible to ground it?

It's not clear with this picture, but the plug has 3 prongs. Also, I was able to do a continuity test between the ground prong and the base of the element, although there seem to be a little resistance...

It seems HomebrewStuff is out of these and may not be able to get them anymore. Does anyone know of another supplier of a product just like this?

I am pretty sure brewhardware had the same disclaimer. I personally only use it with water.

Not an electrician here, but since that plug only has 2 prongs is it even possible to ground it?

Need to ground the kettle, not the heat stick. If the heatstick energizes the wort, you want the kettle to be grounded so that the GFCI that is supplying power to the heat stick trips. Please use a GFCI with a heat stick like that.

Lots of methods of grounding a kettle. None of them are pretty.

Thank you for that!!!

Williams warns not to use in a malt solution (scorching) only water. Has anyone found that to be the case?

That’s exactly the dilemma I was going through. Figured the watt density (just below 70w/sq.in. or upper limit of ULWD) and it is actually lower than some other widely used elements known to work well, like the hot rod’s element from brew hardware. I’m going to go ahead and install it, it fits my needs extremely well for a recirculating eBIABasket. I’ll have to report back with my personal findings, but I personally know one person that successfully used one in the manner I’ll be using it in.

Just make sure to stir regularly or recirculate to keep Brew “matter” off of it, which’ll lead to scorching most likely. Especially when you turn the element off, let everything settle, and turn it back on.

Hope that helps for now.

Last edited:
I'm planning to use this to supplement an 1800w induction plate using two separate 20amp circuits.

I’m going to only be Brewing 2.5 gallon batches, so I want to see how the boil is with just the element at first. I know it can just barely get 5 gallons to a boil. Figured I may supplement with my kitchen’s cooktop if needed, or just to speed things up.

As a follow up:

I have installed this in my 8 gallon Tall Boy kettle. This heat stick in conjunction with a 1800w induction plate makes easy work bringing 7.5 gallons to a boil. I throttle the induction plate to 800w once I've reached a boil and it maintains a nice rolling boil.

Back