Homebrew too strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devlin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m now on my fourth batch of trying to get a good hoppy IPA going, so early days but in need of some advice as I’ve been disappointed with each batch mainly due to the strength of the finished product. I generally don’t mind high strength beers but prefer lower session strength, up to 6%.

The problem with each of my batches is the alcohol taste is very strong, almost burning. This then overshadows the hops meaning I have this liquid that just tastes of alcohol. Doing some research, this sounds a lot like the fusel alcohol taste. However, the odd thing is that fusel alcohol appears to be attributed to warmer fermentation, which is definitely not the problem here, if anything my fermentation is too cold.

I have tried a few different recipes, adjusting the amount of grain (golden promise) with each one. A typical 1 UK gallon batch consists of a 1.2kg of malt and 3litre mash.

I’ve done some research and came across articles describing mash temp and the enzymes that are activated at different ranges so thought maybe I should mash at a higher temp (69 C / 156 F). I’ve adjusted the amount of yeast (S04) pitched. I must admit I struggle to maintain a consistent temperature during the fermentation process, hovering between 18-20 C. Basically, no matter what I have tried it always ends up the same.

So I stand before you to ask for some advice and guidance on how I can achieve a nice easy going IPA full of hoppy goodness.

Thank you.

Where are you fermenting your beer? Is it controlled? Keep in mind that while the ambient temperature (outside the fermenter) may be within an acceptable range, your beer itself is going to create heat from the fermentation process. So, your ambient temperature may be 64-68, but inside the fermenter it can get much higher. Depending on the yeast strain, just a few degrees too high can create fusels. How do you chill your wort after the boil? A good rule to follow is to chill it down a few degrees below your target fermentation temperature, and let it rise gradually to where it needs to be.

If you're having trouble maintaining a constant temperature in the fermenter, I would suggest a swamp cooler. Simply put, place your fermenter in a shallow tub with water. Drape an old t-shirt over the fermenter so the bottom is in the water. Train a fan on it at a low setting; the t-shirt will wick up the water and help keep the fermenter cool.

There is a silver lining, however; fusels tend to fade with age. Downside though, they will take some of that hoppy goodness along with them.

Thanks seatazz

All useful information there. I fully recognize my fermentation process is lacking control which probably isn’t helping much. I’ll look into your suggestions to see how I can maintain a steady temp during fermentation. I do have one of those stick on temperature strips which I have been checking often and it’s always hovering around the 18-20c range. Next time I’ll also tinker with the wort cooling process as suggested.

@schmurf - embarrassingly I don’t yet have a tool to measure the abv but now think it’s time I did. Regardless, I’ve drunk many a beer in my life and I can tell something is off here. This just doesn’t feel right.

One more question please: would doing a higher temp mash help in my endeavor to create lower strength beers? I did give this a go recently, even with a 30 minute mash, yet I landed back at the same position of a burning tasting beer.

Wow....that can be so disappointing. I understand the alcohol taste on the front end. I have had that happen to me on a couple of batches. I tend to brew extract, so i can’t comment on the mash process. With extract brewing, that alcohol taste is from the fermentation process.
First step is to get a hydrometer to measure your abv% to make sure you are not making a high OG beer. Though it’s probably something in the fermenting process.
I agree with ‘seatazz’, the temperature inside can vary from the ambient temperature. I have used the sticky strips for years, and just recently bought the thermowell type with a probe. To be honest, they seem to be pretty close, with only a few degrees difference. I ferment in the garage where the temps drop into the low 40’s F at night, and i started using the heat wrap. The constant temp has made a difference in taste.

Don’t get too discouraged, you will always brew something drinkable, even if it is not what you are shooting for. I have made many batches that did not taste they way I wanted them to taste, but people still drank them. It may have been out of politeness, or because it was free beer, either way, it kept me motivated.

Cheers nickatnite26

I won’t be discouraged as I believe I’ll get there in the end. After all, this wouldn’t be fun if there wasn’t a challenge. Plus, I get to learnt from my mistakes. But the journey can be frustrating and time consuming.

Next batch I think I’ll concentrate on the fermentation process & getting the temp consistent then seeing where I land with that.

You should pick up a hydrometer to check your OG and FG. This is an important measurement, especially with all grain. With small batches, a very small amount of volume can have a massive impact on your OG. I am not quite sure based on your description how much volume you are getting into your fermenter. With "1 UK gallon" into the fermenter and 70% efficiency I calc around a 5.5% to 6% beer. Are you using any tools to predict your gravity and ABV?

I agree with everyone here.... you're getting fusels. A swamp cooler is a good start for temp control but I would look into getting a temp controlled fermentation fridge.

I have used S04 plenty of times, fermented around 20-22 degree celsius room temperature and above and never had any burning fusel alcohol flavors. Fruity esters maybe (especially during hot summer days) but never burning flavors. Get a hydrometer, it is an essential tool. Maybe you are just making too strong beers? How big batch of beer this was?

Thanks all. I think a hydrometer is a good starting point to understand what it is I’m brewing then possibly make necessary adjustments.

@MaaZeus - I was following recipes that claimed to be session strength beers, I just scaled down the recipe to suit a uk gallon size. This is what leads me to believe the problem lies outside of the ingredients/mash process as have been following those fairly strictly. So somewhere after this, the fermentation for example.

In 3+ years of brewing, getting my fermentation temperature dialled in has been THE biggest improvement, resulting in much better beer. You don't have to go fancy, just find a decent working refrigerator, a dual temperature controller (can be had for $35-50 on Amazon), and a heat lamp. We got a new (to us at least) house fridge last year, allowing me to to turn our old Samsung into a nice ferment fridge.

You can have fusels if mash temperature is too low (less of 60'C), if your temperature is too high for yeast or you have wild yeast in the fermenter. I two times used US-05 at 27'C and I did not have fusels. If fermenter lid not seal well and wild bacteria can enter you can use stretch foil.

I agree, the ferm temp seems to be a problem to address. Try us05, like previous poster I haven't had any issues with fusels. Maturation of the beer could play a role in these alcohols being subdued, or should atleast.

Last edited:
endeavor....uk gallon size....thought maybe I should mash at a higher temp (69 C / 156 F). I’ve adjusted the amount of yeast (S04) pitched. I must admit I struggle to maintain a consistent temperature during the fermentation process, hovering between 18-20 C.

North American spelling, Imperial units = Canada? It helps to put your location in your profile.

Mashing at 65°C is fine, keep things as "normal" as possible. If anything I'd change your yeast first - S-04 is one of those that can get a bit funny about temperature, 20°C seems to be the critical point at which some people but not all really hate it. I'm not sure if that's a personal taste thing, or the difference between measuring air temperature and liquid temperature. But 18-20°C is not "cold" for British yeast, and for S-04 in particular.

Variable temperatures will certainly encourage esters etc.

would doing a higher temp mash help in my endeavor to create lower strength beers?

If you want a lower strength beer - don't put so much grain in! Or use a lower-attenuating yeast like S-33/Windsor, but they tend to be "dirtier" so may not be helpful whilst you're troubleshooting this.

But a change of yeast would be my first suggestion.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and comments. I am UK based but see I mixed things up a little, apologies.

I'm currently on the lookout for a cheap/used fridge which I plan to convert into a fermentation chamber. As Seatazzz has attested to, I think this will go some way to improving the quality of my beers.

I'll also experiment with less grain & different yeast & see where I land with that. I guess this is part of the fun.

In the meantime I'm gonna head down to my local beer shop & stock up to see me through this experimentation phase.

Back