High temps after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btr12than6

Reaction score
Not a newbie but this is a rookie question. Cooled the wort using grainfather immersion chiller. Temps were 70 and fermenter was in a room at 65 when I pitched. I didn't connect the cooling pump to cold water because it was a brown ale and I didn't think I needed to. Next morning the Tilt2 and my fermenter read at 92F. Immediately connected the cooling pump kit and brought it down to 68, wondering if the batch is hosed.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the assist

You didn't say what yeast strain you used, but for most strains 92F is way too high, and you could expect elevated esters (possibly ok in a brown ale) and fusel alcohols (not good in anything).

But...are you sure your Tilt is accurate? I don't know of any yeast strain that will take a 70F wort to 92F in a 65F room. It's just not possible. I'd expect mid 70s, max.

VikeMan,

Thanks for assisting. The yeast was Sahale S-04 I had the TILT and the digital therrm on the grainfather conical fermenter reading 90's. I took a screenshot of the pitch temp at 10:03 PM Sunday and then at 11AM the next morning it read 92. Screenshots are attached below. Ignore that it was saved over an old Oktoberfest.csv profile, this was to be an Imperial Nut Brown. Appreciate any thoughts.

IMG-6364.PNG
IMG-6367.PNG

Thanks for assisting. The yeast was Sahale S-04 I had the TILT and the digital therrm on the grainfather conical fermenter reading 90's. I took a screenshot of the pitch temp at 10:03 PM Sunday and then at 11AM the next morning it read 92. Screenshots are attached below. Ignore that it was saved over an old Oktoberfest.csv profile, this was to be an Imperial Nut Brown. Appreciate any thoughts.

So, if the wort is really at 92F and the ambient temp in the room is (and was) 65F, then the yeast was pitched at some temperature quite a bit higher than 70F, or some other heat source was applied to the fermenter afterward.

I find it odd that the gravity went from 74 to 49 in that short of time . Being that your conical temp is reading same as your tilt then I think it's safe to say your beer is that warm . Do you have a heater on the fermenter that maybe kicked on or faulted?

That's actually a good point. The grainfather conical does have a heating element. I had the original controller on it at first which can't control the cooling pump and I switched it to the Pro controller the next day when I connected the pump system. The old controller may have been default set or malfunctioned to turn the heating element on.

For the gravity drop, I agree and noted it hit 5% in about 12 hours. Even for a wort intended for 7.2% that's way too fast

Only thing I've heard that makes any sense. I'll test with water once I clear this out of the fermenter and see what happens.

Back