Almost the best feeling in the world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Mashing in

Sounds strange I know but it's the first time in 3 weeks I have been able to do my own mash in.

Ended up getting admitted to the hospital on the 24th of May due to severe gallstones and spent 6 days in the hospital undergoing loads of antibiotics and three procedures to remove the stones and the gallbladder. They kicked me out of the hospital on the 30th of May and I was back to work on the 1st doing what I could.

Because of the surgery I am not supposed to lift anything over 20lbs until the 1st of July, so I was able to get a minion at work to help me brew and basically teach to be a backup/assistant brewer. Well if you are like me you are used to being 100% hands on with your work so telling someone else to do things drives me nuts.

So for the last two weeks I have been letting him do most the work and slowly building back up with light lifting as I can. Today was my first mash in by myself since this started and I am two weeks ahead of doctors schedule. He basically told me officially anything over 20lbs is too much but unofficially he said if it hurts or you feel strain put it down and let someone else do it.

Thanks Doc..next couple beers are on me:tank:

At 57,it's about the same for me with a bad L2 disc,& bad hip joints. I need help getting the chilled BK into the brewery. Lifting the full bottling bucket off the floor to the top of the fermenter stand has to be a clean jerk to get it up there. Def a pain to do it. Maybe do like I need to do...make/get a roll around cart to transport things from one place to the other. I'm even concidering building a small cherry picker,like those used to pull engines to lift things into place where weight is a concern vs joints & the like. Be smart,be safe!

I am definitley not above asking for help if it means the difference betweeen tearing stitches and not having to go back to the hospital.

Take a look at a transmission jack with a flat plate either welded or bolted to give a flat surface to it. Some of them roll pretty easily on smooth ground and they lift decently high as well as drop decently low and shouldn't cost much to purchase or modifiy.

Back