Clean/Sanitize New Tap Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmcint01

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch and built a keezer. My question is: Do I need to clean and sanitize the beer line and tap for the first use? I have a BLC kit, PBW, and Star San available. Not sure what I really need to do.

Thanks

I did... Who knows what's in there after the manufacturing process!

I washed the taps in soapy water then rinsed. Then I ran a keg worth BLC through the lines and taps when I finished my Keezer. I then ran a keg worth of fresh clean water through the lines and taps. Some may do it differently. But I wanted to make sure everything was working, no leaks, drips, or issues. And it allowed me to clean everything and get it right w/o ruining a few gallons of precious home brew.

Why not do it?......who knows if the people who made them washed their collective hands after using the restroom:cross: I soak mine in No rinse beer line cleaner for 20 minutes. I also keep a keg of the stuff, and run it through my lines when needed...sure cuts down on the time to clean, therefore I do it more often:drunk:

Back