Pitching dry yeast in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineAireBrewery1

Reaction score
I am currently brewing Brewers Best Dry Pale Ale. Three days ago I siphoned the beer into my secondary fermenter ( 5 gallon carboy), and pitched in the cascade pellet hops. I then reattached my blow off tube and placed the cowboy back into my dark room. After several days the hops have created a layer of green scum floating on the top of my beer.i am assuming that I wait until this layer has sunk to the bottom to bottle my beer. How long will this last? And how can I make sure that extra sediment does not get into my bottles? It seems like the dry hopping has added a lot of sediment in my secondary.

It will take a while for it to settle out. To speed things up you can 'crash cool' the fermenter. This involves putting the carboy in a refrigerator for a day or two. This will make the hop pellets and other sediments drop too the bottom and it will be easier to rack to your bottling bucket or keg. The cold temps will not destroy your yeast that you need for bottle conditioning. There will still be plenty of yeast to carbonate your bottles. Also, use a sanitized piece of aluminium foil to cover your carboy top instead of a blow off or air lock. The change in pressure will suck your sanitizer into your beer. Many of us do this all the time with no ill effects. :mug:

No need for the blowoff tube after a few days of primary fermentation. Not an answer to your question, just an observation.

What I do when I dry hop in the secondary is put a nylon mess bag that was used in the past for my BIAB (brew in a bag) day over my racking cane or auto siphon. This way what ever hop particles are floating around don't get transferred over to the bottling bucket.

Also if you leave you hops in for too long you will start to get a grassy flavor from the hops. Most people normally leave there beer on the hops for about 7 days then bottle or keg.

What I do when I dry hop in the secondary is put a nylon mess bag that was used in the past for my BIAB (brew in a bag) day over my racking cane or auto siphon. This way what ever hop particles are floating around don't get transferred over to the bottling bucket.

Also if you leave you hops in for too long you will start to get a grassy flavor from the hops. Most people normally leave there beer on the hops for about 7 days then bottle or keg.

Yes, that would have been more helpful, I also put the dry hops in a mesh bag. I will try to be less of a ****** in the future.

Yes, that would have been more helpful, I also put the dry hops in a mesh bag. I will try to be less of a ****** in the future.

Not a ******, I dump everything in all the time. No worries, patience and cold crashing can do wonders. I don't even use a bag to dry hop with. Your doing fine. :tank:

Not a ******, I dump everything in all the time. No worries, patience and cold crashing can do wonders. I don't even use a bag to dry hop with. Your doing fine. :tank:

Nope, me either! I racked a beer yesterday that had 1.5 ounces of hops floating around. I'm pretty proficient with racking, after many years of practice, but it's not that difficult.

I think it's much easier to get hops in (and later, out!) of a carboy if they aren't in a bag. The bag swells up and it's a pain to get out.

Latest posts

Back