Hi from TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmill

Reaction score
I am about as much of a newbie as you can get. I haven't even cracked open my first brew yet!

My conversion came a little later than it probably should have. I have been a big craft and specialty beer fan since college, and always toyed with the idea of brewing my own. I just never really had anything push me over that edge. After talking to someone at a music festival who brought their own brew in a keg, I decided to do some research.

Within a week I had receive a great starter kit from my local HBS, and the next weekend I was brewing my first batch. That one, a Texas Kolsch, is currently in secondary. (It was brewed while listening to a 3 hour Prince session on our local NPR station. I'd name it something Prince related, but I don't want to get sued.) Should be ready to keg within the next week.

Tomorrow my wife and I will make another batch, my second and her first, which will be a Texas Blonde. Both kits are partial mash recipes from the local HBS. Two major improvements for the second batch: moving outdoors to a burner and using a yeast starter, currently on the spin plate.

Both will be going into a 4.4 cu ft fridge converted to a kegerator, which will be converted this weekend.

I hope to begin all mash brewing sometime soon. The goal is to eventually develop recipes to pair with my brisket and pulled pork. Luckily the kit I found at my local HBS has everything except the mash tubs, which can be easily added to the setup.

I am very lucky to live in an area with a strong home brew community and some great local home brew stores. So far, some of the better customer service I've experienced.

I have already learned a ton from this site, even though I've been at this whole thing a short time. I look forward to learning from everyone here and making some (hopefully) tasty beers!

Cheers! :mug: (with a Saint Arnold Bishop's Barrel)

Check out the Austin Zealots if you have some time. They meet once a month to share brew and stories. Its a good time & those guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'm in town, so drop a line sometime. cheers.

Back