Hi From Eugene, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrueDude

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few months (4 maybe?) and am absolutely hooked. I was already a bit of a beer geek, but am not a hophead at all (I enjoy the occasional IPA, but only one or two once in a while). I moved to Eugene a year and a half ago, and everything was super hop-forward. Finding a malty beer was hard sometimes, and the selection was limited.

Fast forward a year, and I get a Mr. Beer kit for free through my business. It was terrible, but I loved having beer that I made. By brew #3 I was doing all-grain and kegging. By brew #6, I was harvesting yeast. I've been designing my own recipes from the beginning, just because I want to. I'm just now starting to pay attention to styles.

Anyway, brews 9 and 10 are kegged right now. One is a Belgian Red, because I had some witbier yeast I had saved, but didn't want to brew another wit, so I pitched it into an Irish Red. The other is just just a beer with a malt profile that sounded good. I call it a Scottish Export, but it really isn't (ABV is much too high). I just wanted to name it after a guy I knew named Scott. He was from Boston, had a thick Boston accent and we all called him Sqwat from Bwoston. He was a great guy, so I called it Great Sqwat.

I'm brewing numbers 11, 12, and 13 this week. They will be a Biere de Garde, an American Stout, and a Blonde Ale.

Ambitious for a noob! Welcome to HBT and the, uhh, hobby. More like an obsession for many on this forum, me included.

There are a handful of fairly recent threads covering "What I wish I knew 10 years ago about homebrewing but nobody told me," so check those out. My best advice is to figure out the 3-5 styles you like the most and brew those constantly for a year or two to dial in your brew day and fermentation.

Most of all, enjoy the process (and the beer)

Really diving in! Welcome buddy. Was in California recently and had some delicious Ninkasis from Eugene.

Fellow Pacific North Westerner here. We live in Mount Angel, OR (home of the biggest Oktoberfest in the state!). I just recently decided to go all-grain after being a partial masher for around six years. Only been kegging for the last two years or so. Cheers to you for getting to that point so early on. :mug:

Fellow Pacific North Westerner here. We live in Mount Angel, OR (home of the biggest Oktoberfest in the state!). I just recently decided to go all-grain after being a partial masher for around six years. Only been kegging for the last two years or so. Cheers to you for getting to that point so early on. :mug:

Mt Angel! I've driven through there once, but can't say I remember much about it other than some cool looking building. I guess I will remember it better once the next Oktoberfest comes around!

Back