Hi Everyone!, what makes HB interesting for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADD100duance

Reaction score
Personally, I just started homebrewing and I'm really enjoying the process and want to get more involved within the community. So I would like to know how everyone started homebrewing, if they made their own business selling their HB, or what interests them the most. :)

Personally, I just started homebrewing and I'm really enjoying the process and want to get more involved within the community.

Welcome! I'd say you've come to the right place.

So I would like to know how everyone started homebrewing,

I always liked craft beer and wondered if I could brew my own successfully.

if they made their own business selling their HB,

That's illegal in most jurisdictions.

or what interests them the most. :)

I mostly enjoy the scientific/technical aspects.

Welcome to the group!
I first got into this about 4 or 5 years ago I think. My family has always been into our Scandinavian heritage and one day it clicked; Vikings drank mead, right? Why not try to make some! Turned out great, and here I am lol.

That's illegal in most jurisdictions.
You could get your licenses/permits in order and sell it legally, you'd be some form of commercial at that point but if it's on your residential property, I'd still call that homebrew 🤷‍♂️
That's my eventual goal, I have collected a handful of my own recipes, gotten feedback from as many people as possible, and tinkered where need be. Someday, you'll see my name on a label in a store near you 😉

I enjoy the trial and error - come up with something new and just give it a shot. Even if it seems far fetched. If it works, great! If not, well, we won't do that again 🤣🤣

I started about 10 years ago when my brother in law brought home a brewers best kit, I was hooked right on the spot. Since then its been an obsession and pure fun, I enjoy perfecting the process, trying new things and constantly learning. My friends say I should brew professionally but at 36 with 2 kids and a mortgage ... well now isn't the time to take on that adventure, maybe someday but for now they get it for free haha. I am also lucky enough to be able to say that brew day is something my wife and I enjoy together so that is a huge plus. All in all my favorite part about brewing is being able to drink the beer and say, "damn, I made this" though I am my biggest critic, its some gooood stuff.

Cheers!

I enjoy frustrating hobbies...like golf and computers.
Also the "free" beer at the end is nice 😁👍

I have worked in a couple breweries along the way, but didnt start brewing for a decade later. Always have been a fan of days 3-5 when a nice Hefe was in the fermentor. After settling into my late 30's I finally mashed-in. Once I realized how much science is involved and how much I did not know... it became a challenge that I enjoy.

Starting to bring a couple homebrewers out of retirement as well, all it takes is a successful brew day and a few homebrews on tap and they get the itch again :bigmug:

I initially got into it when I moved to Jacksonville, FL from the NY/VT area and left behind great craft brews for what used to be a beer wasteland in Jax. Then I made some pretty horrible beers, and once I've determined I'm going to figure something out, I spend all of my disposable income and time doing it until I get to where I can be proud of it.

12 years later, I'm getting close! haha. Mostly, I love creating my own recipes and trying new things to make something tasty and fun.

Plus getting to get a buzz on something that you created is pretty freaking cool.

Welcome to probably the best homebrew forum around. Lots of info, minimal *sshats here.
I started brewing in 1992 because in my small town I just didn't have access to beers I loved, so my wife bought me a very basic brewing kit for Christmas. She probably regretted that decision many times over the years.
In the town I used to inhabit I brewed as part of a large and diverse community of brewers. We didn't have a club until right before I moved, but we hung out together, shared beer and info. Homebrewers in general are an excellent group of people to hang out with. My wife has wanted me to go commercial, but I've easily resisted that idea so far. I enjoy brewing for myself, not trying to maintain some standard "customers" may come to expect.
So welcome to the forums and the addiction.

I like homebrewing to see how cheap i can make a twelver...but i'm rare like that! ;)

And i like HBT, because it's WAY better then hanging out with tweakers! :mug:

Welcome!

I started 4-5 years ago I think...mainly because I wanted to make beer and thought it would be cheaper. I got hooked, and well I’m still waiting for the cheaper part. But the enjoyment of brewing. Not sure why anyone one would do this if they didn’t enjoy it.

I like homebrewing to see how cheap i can make a twelver...but i'm rare like that! ;)

And i like HBT, because it's WAY better then hanging out with tweakers! :mug:

Welcome!
how cheap have you gotten a twelve that is decent?

how cheap have you gotten a twelve that is decent?

depends on how you look at it? i'm lazy and DGAF...but i sent some malt to someone that puts the effort into making good beer...they say it was good, hoping for a bottle to try it....but it was a 6.5 or something gallon batch with $4 worth of barley.....

i can brew a 80 cent twelve pack, and i'm pretty sure if i used temp control, cleaned and sanitized....all that sorta stuff...it'd be just fine! lol :drunk:

$12.99 for 40lb's of 6 row malt, 50 cents an ounce for year old hops, reuse yeast....my failing is when it goes into the fermentor.....

Last edited:
What makes homebrewing interesting? Trying to brew clones of commercial beers that I'll never be able to buy and learning about new beer styles I've never heard of.

Latest posts

Back