Hey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svthomas72

Reaction score
Hey yall! I am from Oklahoma and I have been brewing for about 15 years now. I switched to all-grain about 10 years ago. I probably average 6 - 10 batches/year, but I am looking to increase that this year. Currently in the fermenting fridge is a Imperial coffee stout. The grain bill was 27lbs for a 5 gallon batch, and I plan to rack to secondary in about another week - at which point I'll have a west coast IPA ready to go the same day. Those are my two favorite styles FYI. But, I like a lot of different stuff. The OG on the stout was a whopping 1.106! I re-hydrated 3 packs of US-05. Should do the job (I've had success with this recipe before, but this is the highest OG yet.

i hate to rain on the parade, but 1.106 for 27lb's of malt is like only 55% effec......

AND, Welcome!
Yeah, I have some things to work out with my mash tun...as in I need a new one with a HERMS system. I lose too much temperature over the mash.

Welcome to the community! Don't mind @bracconiere he likes to bust chops but he does provide some nuggets of truth every once in awhile.

What's the brew scene like OK?
Brew scene in OK is improving as far as craft beer. We've lost a couple of microbreweries over the years, but many more have popped up to take the place.
As for homebrewing - I want to join the homebrew club in the town where I work/go to school, but it is almost an hour away from my house. So, I rely solely on the Internet and the homebrew store where I shop (actually even further away from my house) for info and ideas. Rural life sucks. But, hopefully I'll graduate next May (probably Dec 2021 though) and get a job in a big city somewhere.

Yeah, I have some things to work out with my mash tun...as in I need a new one with a HERMS system. I lose too much temperature over the mash.

my interpretation of big brews like that is, the losses are from not sparging, enough and not reducing the boil long enough....a bigger boil kettle might be better, and just sparge with more water, boil it down more before FWH....

my interpretation of big brews like that is, the losses are from not sparging, enough and not reducing the boil long enough....a bigger boil kettle might be better, and just sparge with more water, boil it down more before FWH....
Probably true there as well, I did not sparge much because my kettle size. Actually, the only thing I have that is ample size is the mash tun (60 qts), but I only sparged 1 gallon with that big batch. I have acquired two empty 1/2 bbl kegs, and over time I am going to get a 3rd one and build my dream HERMS system. #poorgradstudent

Latest posts

Back