HERMS - use HLT for cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miro.rpivo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have clasical herms from 3 kegs. Once after boil I had problem with wort plate chiller. So I put icy watter to HLT and run wort trough coil and back to boil kettle until I got right temperature. Since that I'm using this cooling procedure. Is there someone who does it the same way?
thanks Mirek

Hi Mirek, I don't personally use this way as I have an AIO but I have seen it done by a buddy of mine and on youtube numerous times!

I've thought about it but never done it, i like having the hot HLT water left over to pump through all of my dirty side(not pure HLT water) lines and pumps at the end of the day to clean them out.

I do something similar. I have a 30 gal vessel that I fill with ice and water and circulate it through my imersion chiller. Gets my temp down quickly and doesn't waste water. I simply freeze 4 or 5 gallon jugs for ice. Works great and is always a conversation point when other brewers see it.

This was SOP for me until I bought a chill plate. It worked fine, albeit less efficient. I'm actually thinking of doing both; go through the HERMS coil first, then the plate chiller.

Back