HERMS Coil - 3/4" OD Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teewinot

Reaction score
I searched the forums and couldn't find a reference to 3/4" OD copper being used with a HERMS system. My brewing partner and I came across a VERY reasonable (free!) coil of 3/4" OD copper, and are wondering whether there is a reason we shouldn't use it for our herms.

We currently use an old wort chiller. The plan is to put two more ports into the HLT and semi-permanently mount the coil inside.

Tell me why we shouldn't use the 3/4" copper.

Apologies if this has been asked before and thanks for any help! :mug:

You may get above your desirable copper (and O2 if you care about that) levels in the wort. I've seen it done a number of times.

I meant that I've seen copper used as a HERMS before. I skimmed over the 3/4" part. In addition to being harder to bend, (as Bobby says) you are going to hold a good amount of wort in the coil removed from the mash and have to include this in your equipment profiles........ I'd just go buy a pre bent stainless coil.

Back