Here comes a new brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonBon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just joined the forum and will be spending some not insignificant amount of time hunting through the site for tips and tricks on how to develop into the Greatest Brewer In The World. I received my first brewing kit last weekend for my birthday and wasted little time in getting everything set up and bubbling. My first batch is now on day four of fermentation and I'm hoping to move on to the next step either today or tomorrow.

I have no experience of brewing prior to this, but my dad made some beers when I was younger, so I'll also be reaching out to him for advice on the regular. My preference for beers tends towards the hoppy side of things and I'm hoping a brewing hobby will let me expand my horizons somewhat.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say hello and forewarn everyone that I'm likely to be asking a lot of questions in the fairly near future!

Thank you both!

I realised shortly after posting that I've already wandered into the "didn't read instructions properly" territory and had thought the fermentation process ought to be finished today or tomorrow. Turns out I should only expect strong signs of bubbling in the air trap by now and that the fermentation might well take another ten days. Ten days!!

How do you find the patience not to just pull open the fermenting bucket every other hour and attack it with a straw?!

It does take patience and I certainly lack in that area. I find myself checking my fermenter several times a day for absolutely no reason except to look at bubbles coming out of the airlock. LOL! I think the best thing to do is start a new batch when the fermenter is free to get your mind off the bottles waiting to carbonate. If you keep with that schedule, you'll always have some homebrew to enjoy which helps a lot.

Last edited:
Welcome to the obsession.
There's a ton of great information on this site and a ton of people willing to advise.
One thing - you say that you're at day 4 of fermentation, looking to move to the next step today or tomorrow? What step would that be.
Best bet, if you're thinking about transferring to a secondary - don't bother. IT doesn't really do anything for your beer unless you are bulk aging for a long stretch of time.
Let it ride in primary, give it another week or so, then test gravity. Test again a couple days later, if it's the same, you'll be good to package.
Remember, the most important pieces in brewing is sanitation, yeast heath / happiness, sanitation, temperature control, sanitation, patience, and sanitation.
As far as the temptation to go in all the time - yeah, it's there, especially early on. People talk all the time about opening their fermenters every day, or multiple times a day to "see how things are going" and take too many samples. Then they wonder why the beer ends up oxidized or infected, or why they only have 3.5 gallons left from 5 gallons that went in.

It does take patience and I certainly lack in that area. I find myself checking my fermenter several times a day for absolutely no reason except to look at bubbles coming out of the airlock. LOL! I think the best thing to do is start a new batch when the fermenter is free to get your mind off the bottles waiting to carbonate. If you keep with that schedule, you'll always have some homebrew to enjoy which helps a lot.

Yeah, I'm definitely checking the fermenter more often than I maybe ought to, but the bubbling airlock is just so satisfying to watch! I've heard that sunlight is bad for yeast and my fermenter is shut away in an understair cupboard, where I can just crack the door open a little and watch the bubbles with the light from the hall. Do you know if light from bulbs is also bad for the yeast?

Welcome to the obsession.
There's a ton of great information on this site and a ton of people willing to advise.
One thing - you say that you're at day 4 of fermentation, looking to move to the next step today or tomorrow? What step would that be.
Best bet, if you're thinking about transferring to a secondary - don't bother. IT doesn't really do anything for your beer unless you are bulk aging for a long stretch of time.
Let it ride in primary, give it another week or so, then test gravity. Test again a couple days later, if it's the same, you'll be good to package.
Remember, the most important pieces in brewing is sanitation, yeast heath / happiness, sanitation, temperature control, sanitation, patience, and sanitation.
As far as the temptation to go in all the time - yeah, it's there, especially early on. People talk all the time about opening their fermenters every day, or multiple times a day to "see how things are going" and take too many samples. Then they wonder why the beer ends up oxidized or infected, or why they only have 3.5 gallons left from 5 gallons that went in.

I've resisted the urge to open the fermenter, but I can't stop myself peeking to watch the airlock bubbling away. Re: day four, I misread the instructions and had thought I would see the fermentation finished by day four/five; in actual fact, the instructions said I should check about now for clear signs of bubbling. I realise now that the fermentation won't likely finish for another ten days or so.

Thanks for the comments!

Do you know if light from bulbs is also bad for the yeast?

Technically yes, but little peeks are not going to hurt it. Also, if your fermenter is not clear, that also provides some protection. Stainless steel blocks 100% of light, HDPE buckets block some light, and glass and PET bottles don't block any light.

Ten days!!

Welcome to the forum and the obsession, from Nebraska! I was in the same boat when I first started, but surprisingly this hobby has actually taught me to be more patient. And, as you mentioned I started out only drinking highly hopped beers but my horizons have expanded infinitely and I've found that my tastes are ever changing. Yesterday while walking my dog I got a REALLY bad craving for a Doppelbock, so we made a stop to sit on the Patio and enjoy a 10% dark Lager on the 80 degree summer evening lol.

Patience is key to producing good beers (among other things as mentioned above). I have 5 gallons of cider in a carboy from 18 months ago and 6 carboys of Sour beers that will all ferment for a year, minimum!

None of us on here mind answering any questions you may have, but if you learn to utilize the search feature on the forum you will usually always find your answer, and the answer to other questions you didn't even think to ask yet. Cheers!

Back