Help With Brewsmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I have been playing with the brewsmith free downoad app for about a week. Seems to be more my style than Promash, but have a few of ?'s.

1. How do I calc efficiency? I see where to to put in you efficiency, but am not sure how you are all calculating it. I have just started AG, so maybe I am off on where to even start with this one.

2. It asks me the temps and amount of water:grain ratio. I was under the impression it would be telling me the optimum temp to mash at and tell me the optimum water:grain ratio to use for the application I am using.

3. If the temp is not in there, where can I find the temps to mash at? If I have a few different kinds of grain in there, which temp do I use?

I know a lot for one post...so thanks for the time!

It's super easy to do the efficiency calc part. The easiest way is to click "brewhouse efficiency" in the recipe. It asks you for the actual og, amount into boiler, etc. and then gives you the efficiency. Then you can just put that total into your recipes, until you know your default. (My first AG was like 85%, and my second 68%!)

For the temps, etc, go down into the recipe a bit further and go to mash profile. You can click "choose" and choose the profile you want- single infusion, medium body, batch sparge for example. And if you click the box next to "adjust temp for equipment" it'll calculate the strike temp for you. I usually mash at 152-154 for most of my beers, so I use the "medium body" selection.

It's pretty easy!

Thanks, Lorena! Huge help. When I get home I will look for that. How abou the water : grain ratio? Does everyone pretty much just use 1.3 qts. to 1lb. grain?

Also, I found the part that tells the temp for the strike temp, but when I batch sparge is there somewhere in there that tells what to heat amounts of water to in order to reach the perfect sparge temp? Same question for mash out....

Latest posts

Back