Help with baseball tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolina_Matt

Reaction score
I have an 8-tap keezer, and I need tap handles. I'm looking for a DIY option so that I don't spend $200+, and I'd like to use a baseball like the attached picture. I've also included a picture of my current tap, which is one of the basic ones off of amazon.

What's the best way to go about making this? Do I need a Ferrule and Hanger Bolt set like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LSWBYM2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or do I just use a threaded insert like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026GZU0Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Either way, they both look like 3/8". Do I just use a vice press to hold the baseball, then use a 3/8" drill bit? And it won't unravel the string on the inside of the baseball?

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_075302014.jpg
    IMG_20180207_075302014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 135
  • il_570xN.791561838_n7hm.jpg
    il_570xN.791561838_n7hm.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like either one would work. I'd drill out the ball then set the hardware in with some epoxy to help hold everything together. In theory the epoxy would anchor the hardware and stop the ball from loosing up over time.

What @V-Fib said about the epoxy. I would go the hanger bolt/ferrule option myself. Deeper penetration and smaller hole size to prevent any bulging.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy the bolt/ferrule set.

This may be a dumb question, but is the hanger bolt necessary? Or can I use Crazy Glue or some other epoxy to glue the baseball directly to the ferrule?

Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy the bolt/ferrule set.

This may be a dumb question, but is the hanger bolt necessary? Or can I use Crazy Glue or some other epoxy to glue the baseball directly to the ferrule?
I suppose you could, but then the ferrule is just attached to the leather. With a hanger bolt and epoxy it will never come loose.

What are you doing for the other tap(s)?

BTW, we want pictures!

I haven't decided on how all 8 taps will be. They'll all be a baseball theme. I might just do 8 baseballs, or I might find some Mets knickknacks to put on there. My keezer is painted Orange/Blue and I'm looking for a good sized magnet (or Fathead) of a Mets logo to put on top. I'm also going to put a Mets bar mat on top of the drip tray, although I'm having trouble finding the right one. The drip tray is 44", and the keezer came with two 21" Red Hook bar mats. When I search for baseball oriented mats, they're all 24" so two of them will be too long.

Here's a picture of what it looks like for now. My first bath of beer will be ready for a keg tomorrow, and hopefully drinkable sometime over the weekend after a force carb.

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_091932_01.jpg
    IMG_20180207_091932_01.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 87
I know McFarlane makes a Nolan Ryan that would look great as a tap handle...
8557027d7b44f7b03945eaa83e6a85ca.jpg

Do you have a bat barrel and knob/grip? Those would look cool too.

Back