help with AC glycol build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subject117

Reaction score
does anyone have any advice on bending the copper tubing? I am afraid I am going to kink the lines. It seems like it needs to be bent a lot to fit it in a cooler

Bend it slowly and carefully. That said, I cut notches out in cooler to let coil down into it with minimal bending.

And if you feel it start to collapse, stop and bend it elsewhere.
It's very do-able. Just don't rush it.
IMG_0643.JPG

And as Dland mentioned, cut a generous notch in the cooler to minimize the bending required.

All the bends visible in the photo were made by the mfr.
You'll want to make your bends have a larger radius to avoid kinking the tubing.
Various A/C units have differing tubing routes, so plan your layout to make best use of existing bends.

Do you think this would be ok? looks like it will not be completely submerged in the liquid.. Should I try to get the bend after the foam pictured below into the cooler? Or do you think it would be ok?

IMG_8852.JPG

IMG_8853.JPG

I think there was a missed opportunity there. I see that you couldn't slide the cooler closer to the AC because of the base but you could have either put the cooler up on top of the base or completely cut the base away. You would have been able to bend the tubing up and over so that the slot in the side of the cooler would be shallow. What's cut is cut, but I still think the cooler has to get closer so you can get more of the coil submerged. The cut in the cooler is not easily sealed so filling above that slot is not going to work.

Yes, get the cooler wall closer to the AC and the foam covered section of the tubing inside the cooler. Then you can tilt the coil down away from the wall to get it under your glycol level. Don't rule out putting blocks under the AC if you can't get the clearance by gentle bending.

If you decide to ditch that cooler, keep in mind that you don't need anywhere near 12 gallons in there. 3-5 gallons is more than enough. I'm not confident about the dimensions, but something like this is what I would use: Amazon.com : Coleman Cooler| 16-Quart Portable Cooler |EZ-Clean Excursion Cooler Ideal for Picnics and Barbecues : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back