Help! My mead is not clearing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
First-time mead maker here.
I put together a JAOM and a JAO BOMM simultaneously about 6 weeks ago.

For the BOMM I followed the recipe fairly closely:

Filtered tap water
3.5 pounds honey (a mix of 2 varieties)
1 orange and it's zest with only 1/4 of the pith
25 raisins
instead of currants I used 1/2 cup mixed berries (cranberry, cherry, blueberry).
1 whole clove
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 small pinch ground nutmeg
1 small pinch ground allspice
1 vanilla bean, split
Wyeast 1388 pitched and fermented around 68-72 F

It is not clear at all. I can see less than an inch into it. On the other hand my JAOM has been clear as glass since about 3-4 weeks.

So many ingredients... Any idea what might be causing the cloudiness and if there is any chance it may clear up? I am itching to bottle it and try it out. I don't care that much about the appearance as long as it tastes good, but looking nice would be a bonus.

Appreciate any help!

No, didn't cold crash: not enough fridge space.

I could add an enzyme to clear it if it is pectin?

If you truly think it is done, and you don't want to wait on it any longer go with a fining agent. Super Kleer KC will pretty much clear anything you got.

I never use ground spices. Even in small amounts they are a bugger to clear unless you filter. This could be part of your problem.

Three things I always do to clear Mead. (Four if Pectin Haze.) I like a crystal clear Mead. No reason really other than it looks nice in the glass.

Time - Allow it to set for a few months - Rack off the lees every time they get 1/4" or so.
Cold Crash - Allow it to set in the fridge for a week and rack off lees.
Clarifying agent - I prefer KC Super Kleer. (There are others out there that work as well.) Follow the directions on the packets and rack off lees

If you suspect Pectin haze then use Pectic enzyme. Again wait for it to work and rack off lees.

The cloudiness is due to the lack of potassium carbonate that exist in a normal BOMM. It is fairly typical for this particular recipe. Extensive cold crashing gets it clear, but it tastes fine cloudy too!

Thank you everyone for your replies!
Also, thanks Bray for the recipe. It is certainly a powerful mix of flavors and quite drinkable, though I don't yet know how it compares to the original JAOM. I'm curious; do you have currants shipped to you? I couldn't find them in any local stores (actual blackcurrants, not zante currants).

Approaching 8 weeks now and several days ago I racked to a secondary and cleared out enough fridge space to cold crash. Now just wait? Any clue as to how long it may take?

I probably won't go down the route of adding products to try to clear it. It is what it is. If I want clear mead in the future I'd rather make it the "right way" :D.

I probably won't go down the route of adding products to try to clear it. It is what it is. If I want clear mead in the future I'd rather make it the "right way" :D.

Hahaha, let's chat again after your mead has sat for a year and still has not cleared. Bentonite is all natural and has been used for a long long time.

Yesterday I went ahead and bottled it cloudy. No big deal. I can age it a while.
It's a super poweful mix of flavors and very sweet... I wont be making it again soon; not really my style. The cinnamon is overpowering it right now. Could that fade?

One year later...

Still cloudy. Dropped a lot of sediment in the bottles but still can't see through it.
The cinnamon mellowed but the overall flavor isn't great. I'd call it very "muddled" -- definitely too much happening with 12+ flavors.

I'll give mead another shot this year with a different recipe. Something a beginner mazer can't screw up.

Last edited:
Back