Help..my fermentation is stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,

New to homebrewing and ran into a problem. I bought a 1 gallon small batch of Chocolate stout. I followed the directions and my OG was 1.058 which was at high end but, in range for OG. I used the 3 gallon BrewDemon fermenter (Maybe that was a mistake since most space in there isn't used) and it has been sitting for 1 month. My Gravity is completely stuck at 1.03. The FG should be 1.015 - 1.019. Also, my sample didn't taste too good. So, what can I do to bring the gravity down or get fermentation going again??? I did try heating it up a bit, but, that didn't help.

Would moving the Wort to a 1 Gallon Glass Jug and add more dry yeast help at all? Since I haven't transferred anything, technically, it is still in the primary fermenter.

Help me save my batch!
Damian

Well. At least you have patience going for you. A month in the fermenter is a long time. Not sure waiting that long was the best idea if gravity was not moving.
I think your only option is to pitch more yeast at this point.

So, I stirred it and waited 24 hrs. Same. I decided to just add more Dry Yeast to it. So far, I see nothing in Airlock. Will give it more time. I"m hoping more yeast will get things going.

How high is the trub/yeast layer on the bottom?
Secondaries aren't really needed, most often not even wanted. But with that relatively huge headspace, each time you open it, a lot of air (oxygen) gets in.

Have you ever racked a beer to a secondary fermenter before?

I am using a refractometer. The kind you put a few drops on and look at in light. It shows 1.03 and has been there for a few weeks. Yeast both times was the same. Safale S-04. 1 Teaspoon. I just moved Fermemter to a warmer location to see if that helps. I had it in a room that was 67 degrees which according to recipe is fine.

Yes, this is my 3 kit I've made, but, I always used a 1 gallon jug. This is 1st time using the 3 gallon Brew demon with a 1 gallon kit. Usually, I just rack from the 1 gallon and never used a secondary fermenter. Since the Brew Demon has a spigot that is above the Trub line, I was hoping not to go into a secondary, but, just bottle from there. However, the FG stopped at 1.03 instead of 1.015 this time and I thought I'd try something to get the FG down.

Ah yes... you cannot measure gravity at face value with a refractometer once alcohol is present. Take the Brix reading, not the SG reading, and plug it into this calculator along with your OG. I'm betting you are reading somewhere around 8 Brix which translates to 1.017. That, and your fermentation was probably done about 3 weeks ago.

I am using a refractometer.
That would have been my guess. There simply aren't (m)any 1.058 beers that get stuck at 1.030...
Ah yes... you cannot measure gravity at face value with a refractometer once alcohol is present. Take the Brix reading, not the SG reading, and plug it into this calculator along with your OG. I'm betting you are reading somewhere around 8 Brix which translates to 1.017. That, and your fermentation was probably done about 3 weeks ago.
Yup, what he says. ^

No need for secondaries. Nope.

NO way...I didn't know that. O.k., so, now that I have added more yeast, what should I do?

Should I do one of the following:
--Just bottle from here? I have Fizzdrops.
--Siphon to another jug trying not to get the Trub/Yeast in there? Then, Bottle with Fizzdrops.
--Siphon to another just that has priming sugar (Came with kit). Bottle from there.

Or, by having the extra yeast in there, does that present a big issue?

Back