Hello from the Canadian Praries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I should start with an introduction.

I tried my hand at making mead during my coronavirus lockdown and it turned out better than expected so I'm starting to look at it serious. I'm planning on starting a new batch this halloween, but I have a ton of questions, although I'm not sure if it's acceptable to ask them so soon after joining.

Welcome to the family and I like the name 👍🤘
Feel free to ask away, there is no time requirement and the only stupid question is the one not asked!
Just remember that everyone does things differently, so take everything into account, look for a general consensus, but at the end of the day I have done a lot of things people would consider "wrong" and ended up with great mead. So if it feels like a good idea to you, try it and learn from it - whether glorious or tragic! 🍻

but I have a ton of questions, although I'm not sure if it's acceptable to ask them so soon after joining.

it might be inappropriate for me to have so many posts and ask this....But what does mead taste like? i've never made any because it just seemed like it'd be a sugar wash.....

i've noticed there seems to be more mead maker's joining recently! got me interested.....do you think it'd be any good at say 9% ABV, and carbonated?

:):)

Welcome! :mug:

it might be inappropriate for me to have so many posts and ask this....But what does mead taste like? i've never made any because it just seemed like it'd be a sugar wash.....

i've noticed there seems to be more mead maker's joining recently! got me interested.....do you think it'd be any good at say 9% ABV, and carbonated?

:):)

Welcome! :mug:
I've had two samples from amateurs and one bottle from the liquor store, but it only had one brand so I'm not sure about quality.

Tasted like wine but without the fruity taste... a lot like sake actually.

Didn't much care for it, but not sure if it was just a matter of quality or preference. I'm brewing for friends so all the better I don't drink it all myself. Lol.

Welcome, from YYC!

Mead can be very sweet, but dry....and very dry, but sweet... if that makes any sense.

In general, most meads are quite high in sugar, so whether you leave it alone, or 'back-prime' with some sugar to avoid that dryness, is squarely up to you.

One meadery from the SW part of Alberta, for instance, brews a 15% dry mead, but it has a higher sugar content than a store-bought hi-test lemonade.

Another brews a Blackberry mead, super sweet, but is finished late, so one doesn't taste as much sugar off the bat. The sugar hits because of the 18% content! Woohoo!

Clarity and time seem to be the standards in meads, and that's why I stopped trying them. Being impatient is not a mead's friend.

Good Luck, and Blessed Be!

Back