Hello from Tacoma, WA!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first homebrew ever (decided I wanted to make beer on Wednesday and just cooked one up today). So, I decided I'm gonna need a support group from time to time to give me some tips and hints to make great tasting beer that I can flaunt in front of my buddies (I'm sure they'll get some). So far everything seems ok, but we will see......

Hi from Friendswood TX.

I live in Tacoma most of my life befor coming to TX.

Roger

danimalmanimal said:
This is my first homebrew ever (decided I wanted to make beer on Wednesday and just cooked one up today). So, I decided I'm gonna need a support group from time to time to give me some tips and hints to make great tasting beer that I can flaunt in front of my buddies (I'm sure they'll get some). So far everything seems ok, but we will see......! Just checked this morning and there are lots of tiny bubbles in my airlock....hopefully this is a good thing.

Welcome from kitsap county, many great brewshops...... You will find your spoiled that way.

Happy brewing

I hope so (@Docjay)...The Beer Essentials is the closest one by where I live and when I went in to get some stuff one guy just walked away when I asked for info (I was taken aback). Thankfully, the other guy helped me out. Not sure if I'll go back there though...why open up a home brewing business if you are not going to want to explain home brewing to people? I heard of another place in Kent but I'm sure there are plenty more.

I purchased my equipment at Beer Essentials last Friday. The old guy was a bit abrupt - almost unfriendly. One of the younger guys was much more friendlier. I guess I'll use them for now as driving to Kent does not thrill me. May also start checking out some on-line sources.

They are hit and miss, if you don't mind a short drive check out Olympic brewing supplies in Bremerton, great staff customer service is 110% better than tbe. Also his prices are a little lower so might justify the drive. Larrys in Kent is awesome and there is another in Everett. I think there is one in Oly too but I am not sure. So that is 4 stores within an hour. Some on here have to mail order from there lhbs send me a pm if you would like any more info.

Thanks, that's helpful. I go to Bremerton every once in awhile. Silver City Brewery - all you can drink Root Beer Floats - Awesome. I will definitely check these out. Oly is a tad bit too far unless I'm going to the hometown.

Welcome, i go to beer essentials as well. The dreadlock hippie dude is completely unhelpful, the short dude with glasses has always been helpful and seems to be knowledgeable. Silver City is awesome btw, skip the floats and get some fat bastard.

Welcome to the board! Hope the new brew goes well, what is it? The best tip I have is let her ferment in primary good and long, I usually do a month. This is your first batch though, so I wouldn't expect to see that long:D

To add to the list: Bob's Homebrew and The Cellar, both around Seattle, both awesome.:mug:

I got an Australian pale ale (Coopers) going (the old guy at tbe said I should start with a kit first just to get the steps down). I'm getting bubbles about every two seconds and I can see a layer of foam through the bucket as of right now, so I think everything is going as planned. I will add those two to the list as well...I go to Seattle far more than Oly or Bremerton.....

Welcome, i go to beer essentials as well. The dreadlock hippie dude is completely unhelpful, the short dude with glasses has always been helpful and seems to be knowledgeable.

I didn't see the guy with the dreads, but the short guy with glasses was definitely more friendly and helpful.

I understand going to Seattle more but just one trip to OBS will be worth it, and if not better for me. The guy i'm dreds is not helpful, guy in glasses is not to shabby and there is an old guy that works from time to time that worked for white labs so he is a good yeast source.

No matter where you shop that is 6 lhbs's within an hour of tacoma and that isn't bad at all. One thing I like about OBS other than prices is the service and he will take the time to answer any question you have even if you call on the phone plus his house recipies are pretty good.

If any of you want too, I can pm next time we do a group brew

I went to tbe on wednesday and the help was fifty times more helpful. I need to get another case of bottles, racking cane and some priming sugar today and I think I'm set. Any advice on the easiest easy to bottle???

i love my mr.beer kit lol , im also at mcchord afb ....any of yall going to the brewfest in march???

i love my mr.beer kit lol , im also at mcchord afb ....any of yall going to the brewfest in march???

I work out at McChord as well. Unfortunately, I'll be on the road for the job all next month or I would be there.

I bottle from a spigot on my bottling bucket. I found this was the easiest.

Check out this thread for more information
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Revvy's post is a great read.

Here is my setup(summertime) in Greenlake, just a standard racking cane and bottling wand

The bottles fill themselves while I cap on the right side, and drink beer :mug:
162809_1795409446224_1269350837_2070877_953629_n.jpg

Greetings and welcome to HBT. I was stationed at McChord back in '86 through '88. It's where I out processed. It's since been renamed hasn't it?

I work out at McChord as well. Unfortunately, I'll be on the road for the job all next month or I would be there.

Ah, your avatar of the C17 is great. It was still being built when I was stationed at McChord but I have fond memories of catching a MAC flight on either a C130 or a C141. The PAC milk run was a ***** though! :D

Maybe they seen this post.

Welcome finally Tacoma is reppin' Yeah I think they check this site because I complain about them quite a bit. They are like the High Fidelity of LHBS. Now they're doing good on customer service but there prices are still too high. When are we all going to get a club together and smash people in the face!

Greetings and welcome to HBT. I was stationed at McChord back in '86 through '88. It's where I out processed. It's since been renamed hasn't it?

Yeah, they combined it with Fort Screwus...er Lewis and we are now JBLM or Joint Base Lewis McChord. So much has changed since 88, you literally wouldn't even recognize the front gate! Maybe you could find the BX...It's roughly in the same location. :D

Ah, your avatar of the C17 is great. It was still being built when I was stationed at McChord but I have fond memories of catching a MAC flight on either a C130 or a C141. The PAC milk run was a ***** though! :D

Thanks. I retired from the USAF, but was never stationed here. I moved up here when I retired to be near my kids...Originally from Michigan. I work for the BIG B out here. :D

I miss living in that area. I was stationed at Fort Lewis in the late '70s early '80s and lived in Seattle for a while afterwords. Too bad I wasn't into home brewing back then, sounds like you have a lot more options when it comes to home brewing supplies! Mail order is about your best bet here in North Texas :( There is one rinky dink shop in Fort Worth and Dallas is a long drive. UPS comes to the door!

crew chiefs im guessing? lol im a crew chief , its cool that you were able to see the block 1 first c17 , closest ive come to a a 141 is in the mcchord museum , 130s ive marshelled in a few times , i hear alot about 141s from masters and senior masters ...anywho ya this march 25 is the brew fest at the officers club

Latest posts

Back