Hello from South Jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill9000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was gifted some home brewing supplies from someone getting out of the hobby. I'm in the process of completing my supply kit (he brewed from conventional kitchen stock pot on stove top - I upgraded to 8 gallon boil kettle with propane burner). I've seen some comments about having trouble controlling temperature with propane, so I'm going to run some test trials with water only to get the hang of it. It seems like an extract malt brew is easier than an all grain, so I'm starting with that.

Here's my list of keys to success from watching several videos -
  • Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize! Once you start cooling the wort, anything that comes in contact with the wort needs to be sanitized.
  • Cool the wort quickly - I bought a wort chiller.
  • Don't burn the extract - turn off the flame when adding extract
  • Be at the proper temperature before pitching the yeast
Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the group from SE PA. Some other guidelines
Be Patient
Don't open the fermenter until it should be done
Don't forget to take a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast
Have fun

If bottling, check gravity when you think it's finished fermenting. Then check again 2 - 3 days later. If gravity dropped, it's not finished - check again later. Bottling before fermentation if finished can result in bottle bombs, which you really don't want.
Welcome to HBT.

Welcome from South Jersey (Camden County).

• Clean and Sanitize are most important.
  • If you can control the fermentation temp, that would be great.
  • You'll get some great information here at HBT
  • I've learned procedures from here and online research like YouTube

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer. Pitch a good amount of healthy yeast, aerate or oxygenate well.

Welcome. I was gifted my equipment as well. Probably the only reason I'm typing these words now.
In a nutshell, you have it. Go with that for your first few batches.

I'm four days into my primary fermentation of my first batch. Still bubbling away with more than a bubble every second, but noticeably slower than the first few days - I quickly replaced the air lock with a blowoff tube. My boil day went pretty well. I used an extract recipe and controlled the temperature well without any boilovers. One concern I have is my recipe called for 1/2 oz aroma hops and I overshot this from the 1 oz bag provided. I'm not too concerned about this, but most of the hops are in the primary because the recipe said to "pour the wort into the fermenter". My other concern from boil day is that my SG was 1.03 instead of 1.05. I've read online that it may just because the makeup water wasn't fully mixed and shouldn't be a problem.

Recipe calls to move to a secondary fermenter after 5 - 7 days when the yeast activity slows. I've seen some online discussions that secondary fermentation isn't necessary. I'm concerned about the sediment and will be transferring to a secondary. I've also read that the secondary should be in a glass carboy, but all I have is plastic. Is there really a significant advantage to glass carboys for secondary fermentation?

I'm fairly confident I'm on the right path, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Can't wait to get till bottling (one step closer to drinking!).

One concern I have is my recipe called for 1/2 oz aroma hops and I overshot this from the 1 oz bag provided.
Depending on when the aroma hops were added, they could increase the bitterness - but it should be ok.
most of the hops are in the primary because the recipe said to "pour the wort into the fermenter".
Should be fine.
My other concern from boil day is that my SG was 1.03 instead of 1.05. I've read online that it may just because the makeup water wasn't fully mixed and shouldn't be a problem
Yes - probably wasn't fully mixed.
I've also read that the secondary should be in a glass carboy, but all I have is plastic. Is there really a significant advantage to glass carboys for secondary fermentation?
You want just about no air space in secondary. A bucket isn't good for this. If you have a plastic carboy, it should be ok.
I'm in the no secondary camp, but brewing is all about making your own choices. Keep in mind that you would normally just rack off the sediment and leave it behind. Good luck.

Back