Hello From Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHomeBrewer

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, just recently signed up. Thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

I started brewing about 5 years ago with a neighbor. He bought the equipment and I would buy the ingredients.

Moved away and took a few years off, but my wife bought me one of the starter kits and I delved right back into it.

About 6 months later I started all grain brewing with 2 7 gallon coleman coolers and a 10 gallon kettle. These Iowa winters are cold, so about 2 months ago I started building my basement brewery and am going all electric.

After a lot of research, my mission was to cut down brew day time investment and simplify the process as much as possible while maintaining control over the ingredients.

I looked over the options, and for the money I felt like the High Gravity BIAB system was a pretty good way to go. I priced out purchasing components and building things myself, but it would not have saved me much money. I read a thread on here indicating they used cheap parts and was prone to failure alot, but those were all pretty dated. By the time I ordered mine they had already started making them with the temperature probe in the base of the kettle instead of where the wart was pumped back into the kettle.

So here is my set-up. All ready to stay nice and warm inside when the winter comes.

20150726_175025_zps75vphbwl.jpg

20150726_175003_zpsaiy7phzt.jpg

20150726_175012_zpszryugick.jpg

At first I had just a single pulley, but man those grains are crazy heavy and on my first batch with this system I made a huge mess. Changed it up a little bit and used a 4 pulley system. Nice and light now, and much easier to let it drain. Once it has dripped enough I move my kettle over and let it fall down onto a rubber mat.

20150726_154025_zpsckzuewld.jpg

20150726_153919_zpshxl8enb1.jpg

Ventilation was a pain. At first I was using the same vent as my dyer to go outside, but when the dryer was on it just blew the hot air out of my fan. And when I was brewing it just blew all the steam into the dryer. I cut some plywood to fit my window and I just pop it in the window frame and hold it in place with 2x4s and a bracket.

20150726_153733_zpsnxpl7ziw.jpg

And I can't stand how long it takes to bottle, so it all goes right to kegs.

10351649_10204254148701211_7033346018423063033_n_zps171be2dc.jpg

Next step is to get a grain mill and stock up on the grains my recipes use.

Nice set up! I'm from the Iowa City area and I'm actually planning the exact same thing. Did you have problems with basket swaying when you were using one pulley? Is that what caused the mess? Brewing in the garage in February in Iowa is just miserable...or in July (it was 85 and 80% humidity yesterday during my last brew). I can't wait to go electric and move inside.

Welcome, nice rig! I'm mildly ashamed to admit that I never thought to just move my kettle to enable lifting the bag with a pulley...simple = smart.

Nice set up! I'm from the Iowa City area and I'm actually planning the exact same thing. Did you have problems with basket swaying when you were using one pulley? Is that what caused the mess? Brewing in the garage in February in Iowa is just miserable...or in July (it was 85 and 80% humidity yesterday during my last brew). I can't wait to go electric and move inside.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. Just had a utility sink installed on Monday. I live in Johnston, just north of Des Moines.

It wasn't really with the basket swaying, but I was doing a 5 gallon batch with about 16 pounds of grain, it was extremely hard to pull it up and get it tied off. I just wanted to make it lighter and put another hook at the end so I could just attach it without messing around with it.

Latest posts

Back