Hefeweizen - Plastic smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hoping to find someone that has some experience brewing Hefeweizens to see if a "plastic/rubbery" smell is something to worry about.

Grainbill:
5lb Wheat malt
4lb pilsner
1lb white wheat
17.6g tettnang (60 min)
Distilled water with salts added.
Lellamand's Munich dry yeast

Fermented at 67F, emitted sulfur smell (normal from what I read), for 10 days
On gravity check, 1.010, I smelled it and it smelled liked a plastic/rubbery smell. Almost like my fermenter was being eaten by the fermented wort.

My initial research leads me to believe that it was contaminated, but I am pretty particular on my cleaning standards.

Thoughts?

Can you describe the smell more?

Is it like
burnt rubber?
Melted plastic/ski wax? Bandaids?
Chemically/New plastic (like rubber gloves)

It could also be that your brain is combining smells into something familiar. You might be getting phenols from the yeast combine with some sulfer compounds that smell like plastic when combine.

Can you seperate out the smell into a mixture in your mind? Like cloves mixed with...?

So it is not plastic...it's more rubber smell, but like...an old toy that sat in its box forever and you finally decided to open it. I'd compare it to something you find in a tool shed and its been in there for several years.

I don't get melted plastic or bandaids.

As for rubber gloves, I'd have to compare, but it doesn't stand out. I will also compare it to cloves as well and see if I can find something out.

I think in the end, I will still keg this and let it sit to see if it mellows out.

So it is not plastic...it's more rubber smell, but like...an old toy that sat in its box forever and you finally decided to open it. I'd compare it to something you find in a tool shed and its been in there for several years.

I don't get melted plastic or bandaids.

As for rubber gloves, I'd have to compare, but it doesn't stand out. I will also compare it to cloves as well and see if I can find something out.

I think in the end, I will still keg this and let it sit to see if it mellows out.

Oh absolutely don't dump it! I won't dump a beer unless it's been in the keg for at least 3 weeks

What you're describing almost sounds like yeast autolysis, so hopefully it's not that. It's more likely just a funky yeast smell that will mellow with time

Back