Heavy Yeast flavor .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhitner

Reaction score
So my first batch was made. I opened a bottle only after 3 days. There are 2 that seam rather firm so I sat them in the fridge for about a day and a half. I grabbed the bottle and gave the lid a twist. The soft sound of a carbonated beverage rang out. I grinned. I pulled out my pre-chilled glass that by this time and a generous amount of frost around it. I pored the Root beer into it, it foamed up and sank back down quick enough. There were carbonation bubbles fighting there way to the top of the glass. I lifted the glass to my mouth and my nose caught a brief sniff of the Yeast aroma. I sipped the drink and it appeared to be sweet enough but wow a heavy yeast flavor more than I thought there would be. It overpowered any other flavor that was trying to sneak in. I used Red Star Yeast. Question.. is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Not let it sit in the fridge long enough? Made be switch the Yest?

It was the Red Star Bakers Yeast. I used 1/4 Tsp for a Gallon

Oh, well, that's why! Use some Red Star Champagne yeast. It's like $.79 cents a pack, and you need about 1/4 of a package, maybe less, for a big batch of soda. You can use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon batch- that would be fine. It's neutral, quick, and falls to the bottom of the bottle nicely when chilled in the fridge overnight so you don't stir it up when you pour a soda. The bread yeast never does fall out, and always resuspends when you move the bottom. Plus, it doesn't taste good!

I just ordered Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast, Lets see how that works. Anyone else with some Helpful hints - Is this a toss down the drain Batch?

@thewhitner

Which root beer recipe did you follow? im interested because i have never ever made root beer and would love to make some.

Question for the other pros out there. Will Ale yeast work for root beer or is ALE yeast only good for ginger ale. Im simply using it to carb sodas.

thanks

Back