Hazy pale ale recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a hazy pale ale for an upcoming work retreat. I am going for something in between a regular pale ale and a NEIPA. I'd like to retain a little malt character (hence the 5% crystal) and keep the bitterness lowish. I'm looking for something that most people will enjoy (including myself). I know most NEIPAs don't include crystal malts, whereas many standard pale ales do.

I've got some C-15 and C-75 to get rid of, which is why I chose those in lieu of C-60 or something else.

I've never made a hazy pale ale before, and was hoping for some input on grain bill and hop schedule. Thanks a lot in advance.

11 lbs 2-row (77.2%)
1 lb Flaked Oats (7%)
1 lb Wheat Malt (7%)
8 oz Carapils (3.5%)
8 oz C-15 (3.5%)
4 oz C-75 (1.8%)

1 oz Amarillo @ 60 minutes
1 oz Amarillo @ 10 minutes
1 oz Amarillo @ flameout (or whirpool)

Dry hop 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz El Dorado for 4 days

White Labs WLP067 Coastal Haze Ale Blend (with a 2 liter starter)

I think your grain bill is fine, but I'm not sure what the Carapils is doing for you. I'd just take it out.
I'd use a clean bittering hop at 60 (like .5oz of Magnum or Warrior) and move that ounce of Amarillo to the WP. I also think you need another few ounces of hops overall. Maybe another ounce of Citra or Mosaic in the WP and 1 or 2 of the same in the dry hop. My 2 cents :cool: Cheers!

I think your grain bill is fine, but I'm not sure what the Carapils is doing for you. I'd just take it out.
I'd use a clean bittering hop at 60 (like .5oz of Magnum or Warrior) and move that ounce of Amarillo to the WP. I also think you need another few ounces of hops overall. Maybe another ounce of Citra or Mosaic in the WP and 1 or 2 of the same in the dry hop. My 2 cents :cool: Cheers!

Good suggestions, thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Back