Having trouble brewing cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kangbrew5263

Reaction score
I have started brewing cider last week using 3 gallons of cider that i pressed myself. Afterwards I took all the foam and all the un-homogenous particles out and boiled the cider with cinnamon sticks. Sanitized and cleaned the carboy, and put in liquid yeast. It has been about 6 days, I've kept it in a cool place with some residual exposure to light from the outside. I checked it today on how it is and it has this sour smell to it and I tried opening it and having a small taste and it had this sour taste with some sort of apple hint. I was wondering if there was anything I can do? Am I doing it correctly? Should I scratch everything start new?

is it sour or co2? co2 is normal. Have you smelled a healthy ferment before?
No I haven't I'm not sure what CO2 smells like? It had a cider odor before but now it smells a bit sour. What is a healthy ferment supposed to smell like? This is actually my first batch.. :(

So I actually boiled my cider prior and I let it cool for 5 hours and then I put the yeast in. Just 5-10 degrees over room temperature?
So, you’re not really sure? Anyway, if you were in the range for the yeast it should be okay. Silly question, but is it sour or tart? I’ve have some cider that was very tart once finished.

So, you’re not really sure? Anyway, if you were in the range for the yeast it should be okay. Silly question, but is it sour or tart? I’ve have some cider that was very tart once finished.
So it tasted more sour than tart, I don't know if that makes sense?

Its pretty hard to mess up a cider ( although I have, several times) so perhaps let it age a little and then taste it again.

Back