Having a fridge on a temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
My new kegerator has a warning in the manual that says not to plug it in/out a lot.

Just wondering if anyone knows why that warning is there.
Has anyone ever experienced damaging a kegerator/fridge/chest freezer from having it plugged into a temp controller (for purposes of using it at fermentation chamber temps in the summer?)
Thanks.

I've been using mine (keezer and inkbird) since November, and it's held temperature fine without any issues. I've read that keeping the time delay fairly wide is best, so that it's not clicking on and off every 5 minutes. I have mine set to 5 minutes on each side (Hot and Cold), I think. Here's a decent video to help you set up:

When a freezer is first plugged in the compressor has no extra back pressure so it starts easily. Running it for a few minutes it builds pressure which is intended to slowly dissipate through a small orifice which allows the pressure to fall and cools the refrigerant. Normally this is controlled so the compressor doesn't have to restart against that back pressure but if you plug it in, unplug it after a minute or two, the plug it back in before the pressure goes down so it has to start against that pressure it has built up. This can damage the compressor. That situation should not come up with a controller if the sensor is attached to the fermenter.

.. Normally this is controlled so the compressor doesn't have to restart against that back pressure but if you plug it in, unplug it after a minute or two, the plug it back in before the pressure goes down so it has to start against that pressure it has built up. This can damage the compressor. That situation should not come up with a controller if the sensor is attached to the fermenter.

I think many fridges have sensors to protect for this already. One of mines if I plug back quickly it won't do anything for a while so there must be some timer for it kicking in. But yes is better to be on safe side and add a good delay.

Back