Has the age of your grain ever impacted the final beer taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a few recipes early in spring and brewed the first one within a week. The second recipe sat in a sealed bag for about 3-4 months before I brewed it.

I’ve only had a few pints of the final product and I can’t quite put my finger on the taste...if it’s the hops I don’t like or maybe there’s a slight bit of staleness to the flavor.

Anyone experience anything like that? The grain sat in a seal plastic bag inside a vittles vault. The grain was decently aromatic when I opened it.

thoughts?

Milled grain will go stale with time even if in a plastic bag. Un-crushed grain will last years. Hops will also degrade if not sealed air tight and preferably frozen.

But there is no way to tell if is was the time, brewing procedure or just something in the recipe that you don't like.

I did a few beers last year with some two year old unmilled grain I had. Everything came out fine.

All the Best,
D. White

I did a few beers last year with some two year old unmilled grain I had. Everything came out fine.

All the Best,
D. White

I certainly hope that 2 year old grain will make a good beer since for the last few years most of my grains have been at least 2 years old. Most longer than that, And the beers have been good, not just my opinion, others have raved.

I certainly hope that 2 year old grain will make a good beer since for the last few years most of my grains have been at least 2 years old. Most longer than that, And the beers have been good, not just my opinion, others have raved.

I've been at this for thirty years. I have learned beer, and the whole process, are pretty forgiving. Think it's kind of like a dog, it knows if you're afraid of it.

All the Best,
D. White

I've found that if my grains are more than 3 years old, I just use twice as much. I go through the old grain faster and the higher ABV makes me not care so much if there is a flaw. Win-win! ;)

Back