Has Anyone Welded Bayou Classic Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cegan09

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I grabbed an 11 gallon Bayou Classic on sale this week and need to add a bunch of fittings to turn it into my new 1 Vessel eBIAB. I know these kettles are on the thinner side compared to higher end options. I'm curious if anyone has successfully welded on fittings to comment on the level of difficulty. I own a TIG, I'm decent with it, but i'm not a professional welder.

I bought my fittings from Brew Hardware, and I plan on installing all of them using his pull through flare method that gets used for soldering. I figure that dimple will add some strength around the fitting. I'll need to install two 1/2" NPT fittings, one 1/4" NPT, and two 1.5" TC fittings.

Hopefully someone has done this and can comment on how much fun i'm in for.

I just did something similar over the weekend. I've got a 6 gal bayou classic, fittings from BrewHardware, their pull through tool, silver solder, and flux. Made the hole, used the recommended hole bit and successfully added the tri clamp ferrule. Silver soldering was stupid easy, even using a small, hand held butane torch I was able to get a beautiful looking solder around it. Bobby recommends looping the solder around it a couple times and letting it heat up so it falls into place. Really happy with how it looks, leak tested successfully last night. My only regret is that I was nervous and did a handful of extra rotations after the pop, not the recommended one and I was unable to bring the ferrule end flush with the dimple. I can still add tri clamps easy but it doesn't look perfect. 10/10 would recommend. TIG welding might be a bit too much for the kettle though

I know the silver soldering works. I have solder on TC fittings on my current kettle. I just like welded fittings, and well, when you own a welder, everything is a welding project.

I think i'm going to experiment with the lid. I'll over drill just a tiny bit so the dimple isn't quite as large, but still there, and then try welding the fittings I need to the lid. If I wreck it, no loss, i'll buy another lid. If it proves to be just too much I'll go back to soldering.

I'd like to sub to this one for tips tricks and helpful hints. I've done MIG for a long time, but new to TIG. I did a practice fitting in a super thin spare kettle lid I had. I used a greenlee punch and one of Bobby's pull throughs. I set up a 5cfm back purge which worked great, but the thickness difference between the fitting and the thin wall was a pain. These photos are of my first ever attempt. It's ugly, but clean.....

Attachments

• 20180811_163636.jpg
    20180811_163636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
  • 20180813_111828.jpg
    20180813_111828.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 167
I think that confirms one of my fears, the dimple side will have a "valley" that will be really hard to clean. I think i'm going to just solder mine after all.

I have silver soldered some too, it would take a lot of solder to fill in the entire valley. I usually just do 2 wraps around the fitting and let it wick down. The other issue with trying to fill the whole valley is that no matter how tight the fit is, if you put too much in it can drip out. Been there. I looked at Bobby's pull through triclamps. Looks like they have to be pulled from the outside, which would put the valley on the outside, better for soldering. The ones I have soldered were not pull through

Attachments

• 20171223_151940.jpg
    20171223_151940.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20171223_154811.jpg
    20171223_154811.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 130
You can pull his fittings through either way, it's just harder to do it so that the valley is on the inside.

Back