Keggle built! Wish me luck on my 1st 10 gallon brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nextgenxx

Reaction score
All done, set, & ready to go! I think I might have spent a little more money than I hoped too but have to say I enjoyed every step of the way!

Here are some pictures of my keggle and 50' immersion wort chiller. I hope all goes well today and I am able to chill my beer quick enough to pitch the yeast. Let me know what you guys think!

image-2048041304.jpg

image-238717368.jpg

image-999014734.jpg

image-4024270833.jpg

Looks great if you can swing it a sight glass with built in thermometer is SO worth it!

Ok well so far I am 20 min left in the mash! But let me tell you lifting 10gallons of 167 degree water HLT up to the top tier was a B#tch!! I need to either lower it some or figure out a better beer sculpture gravity flow system. The joys of learning...

image-3840475269.jpg

I'd recommend a second burner for the hlt. I use gallon jugs to move water up to my top tier. I have tried the moving the hot HLT keggle to the top and I don't recommend it. It's just stupid heavy and dangerous.

Yes 2nd burner I think is a must! And let the sparge begin! Time for a drink or three!!

image-2526076581.jpg

To hell with the keggle pics. Let's see some more of that bug! V-dubs are my first addiction. :)

Malted_hops said:
To hell with the keggle pics. Let's see some more of that bug! V-dubs are my first addiction. :)

Vdubs are my 1st addition also, 67 bug, 01 golf 1.8t and another one that my wife drives!

I have a 72 Bay that is waiting to have a 2L installed, a 71 Super that is getting a 944 brake conversion, and a 71 Ghia convertible that I'm collecting parts to turn into a roadster. VW's rock!

Rivenin said:
Looking good! where abouts in portland are you?

I'm sw side of town near max fanno creek pub.

Brew status - OG 1069 fermenting crazy right now, temp 70. I might need to install blow off tube, cuz airlocks keep getting over blown.

Other than that myself is a little sore from brew day still. But glad it is 82 sunny in Portland today!!! Time to go mow the lawn!

Hah, nice! I'm just down the road and up the hill from there :mug: . Sounds like brew day went well! I've been doing more and more 10 gallon batches lately and usually splitting yeasts or tossing some bugs in the other so its not 10 of the same beer. Cheers!

Rivenin said:
Hah, nice! I'm just down the road and up the hill from there :mug: . Sounds like brew day went well! I've been doing more and more 10 gallon batches lately and usually splitting yeasts or tossing some bugs in the other so its not 10 of the same beer. Cheers!

Yes I think I also will be trying different yeast when doing more 10g batches that way I can experiment a little easier!

Adding bugs might have a new flavor! Haven't tried that one yet!

Digging the VW as well. Looks pretty clean. Used to drive a 73 super and have since upgraded to an '04 .:R32.

ChrisVZ said:
Digging the VW as well. Looks pretty clean. Used to drive a 73 super and have since upgraded to an '04 .:R32.

Jealous of the r32! My daily is 01 1.8t 20v 4dr golf, with CHIP, has about 200hp still a blast to drive! Want an Audi a3/4 maybe next! Bug is parked in brew garage so always playing musical cars on brew days!

image-2821645997.jpg

1 first week of ferment went well going to pick up some hood strawberries and make one strawberry blonde ale of the two!

I miss the VW world... had 2 mk1 Sciroccos, 3 mk2 Sciroccos, 91 corrado and a few other golfs and jettas... been too long!

We totally need a vw subsection on here! 04 r32 over here. Love the vr6. Favorite engine ever. That is one sweet bug though.

VR with a flowmaster... mmmmmmmmmm - Back on topic! hahah

What'cha got picked out for the next brewday?

No clue yet. I have CA Ale yeast, 1056, NW pale ale and think one other yeast and lots of cascade hops. Been doing lots of IPAs lately and now these last blondes. Any suggestions?

image-47947904.jpg

image-1934168449.jpg

image-99035243.jpg

image-1790449278.jpg

Racked my blond onto 5lbs of hood strawberries!
Washed some yeast!
Found my favorite varietal of hops beer in the bottom of my keezer!
Drinking beer now, Priceless! :)

Latest posts

Back