conditioning already crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biodarwin

Reaction score
It looks like the crush is not very good from online vendors. I don't own a mill so this last batch I split the grain in 4 big zip lock bags, took a 2x4 and pressed down a bit on the grains. This seemed to work as I finally got my mash eff from ~60 to ~70. The main question here is this ok until I get a mill? I am still working on yeast health and fermentation temp control so a mill will have to wait.

I have also read about condition your grain. Can this be done with grains which already have a "partial" crush? I can see this not working well as there is "some" flour in the partial crush and would make things pasty?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Purpose of condition is to leave some husks un-crushed so you can mill it tightly, if malt is already crushed (and husks too) I don't see reason why to condition it.

Purpose of condition is to leave some husks un-crushed so you can mill it tightly, if malt is already crushed (and husks too) I don't see reason why to condition it.

Because they are not crushed enough and I don't want to over crush the grain.

Latest posts

Back