Am I in trouble? (IPA content)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan42

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS and picked up ingredients for an extreme IPA recipe they had. The home brewer store guy told me not to forget to add Amylase Enzyme.

Well, as you probably suspect I forgot to add Amylase Enzyme. The question is can I still add it to the beer when I rack it to a secondary? I don't want to disturb it right now because it is bubbling beautifully. Thanks.

pics for your click

Amylase Enzyme is one of the enzymes that breaks the long unfermentable sugar chains down into fermentable simple sugars. It's likely that he was telling you to do that for the sake of making sure your wort was highly fermentable.

Was this extract or all-grain?

I've never used enzymes and mine ferments great. DWRHAHB Just remember to use the enzymes next time to see if you can tell the difference.

I would only use the amylase if you fail to get close to your expected FG. If you do decide to use it, only do a few drops at first, then wait 2-3 days and take gravity, then again in 2 days. It can REALLY dry out a beer, like paint thinner, if you're not careful.

When Ive used enzymes Ive brought my wort up to around 145-148 before boil, added enzymes and let sit for about 30 minutes. Then went about my regular boil routine. I used to use it to make huge ABV malt liquors from extract and they would drop well into the low teens or even lower. Ive never added during ferm cause I assumed to heat would be a catalyst to ensure breakdown of long chain sugars.

When Ive used enzymes Ive brought my wort up to around 145-148 before boil, added enzymes and let sit for about 30 minutes. Then went about my regular boil routine. I used to use it to make huge ABV malt liquors from extract and they would drop well into the low teens or even lower. Ive never added during ferm cause I assumed to heat would be a catalyst to ensure breakdown of long chain sugars.

Actually heat is what activates the enzymes already present in malted grain. Amylase enzyme extract (in the bottle) is ready to go, no activation needed.

Amylase Enzyme is one of the enzymes that breaks the long unfermentable sugar chains down into fermentable simple sugars. It's likely that he was telling you to do that for the sake of making sure your wort was highly fermentable.

Was this extract or all-grain?

It is an extract, just steeped the grains.

I've never used enzymes and mine ferments great. DWRHAHB Just remember to use the enzymes next time to see if you can tell the difference.

Good point. This is my second and third brew sitting in my closet, I was actually able to RHAHB during the process this time. My first batch was stressful. This time I'm not so worried about them if its good its good if not then brew again.:mug:

Cool blow off tubing!

Thanks! The brew on the right actually had a blow over and I didn't have the tube yet so I hurried and did the tube and bowl method.

Went to go get the stuff to do the brew on the left and the LHBS guy showed that blow off tube for $5!

Careful using enzyme in the fermenter. You won't really be able to stop it from chugging down to a really low FG, unless of course that is what you are trying to accomplish. I speak from experience.

Careful using enzyme in the fermenter. You won't really be able to stop it from chugging down to a really low FG, unless of course that is what you are trying to accomplish. I speak from experience.

like I said, if you do, and people have resorted to it in the past, use very little, and wait. I wouldn't even use the recommended dosage. I'd do 1-2 drops.

Being a Molecular Biologist, those industrial grade enzymes are very difficult to get rid of once you use it. They are maintained to be very very robust. So as others have said don't use too much!

Back