Pitching onto yeast cake/ trub questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I've read about people doing this and am going to attempt to do it for the first time. Do I pour off the little bit of beer on top of the trub and pitch right onto it?

Also, should I give the sides of the bucket a wipe with starsan and remove the krausen ring? Thanks

You can do any of the above. If you can, I'd suggest washing the yeast and repitching the amount you need. This ensures that you're not over pitching and also helps rid your trub of your previous beers color/flavor. It also gives you a chance to clean and sanitize your fermenter.

Ill be honest though, on a lazy day, I've just transferred right onto the cake after spraying the bucket w starsan and agitated it and let it go with no problems. (Didn't remove little bit of old beer, didn't clean krausen ring). Best way to go is the first way I suggested to keep beer clean in terms of flavor, color and potential infection.

yes decant off the little bit of beer and pitch right into the yeast patty. You can definitely use some star san to wipe the sides as after the acid in it has taken its course what is left is just extra yeast nutrition.

Back