Bottle Bomb Concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bottled my 3rd batch last night. It was a Brewers Best IPA kit and I ended up getting 28 16.9 OZ bottles...approximately 3.7gallons total.
Unfortunately I lost some beer to the trub and during bottling. It sat in primary for 22 days
OG was 1.061
FG was 1.011
I primed with 5oz of sugar (amount intended for 5 gallons) and the bottles are sitting in a room at 72-74 degrees. Do I have any potential exploding bottle issues due to too much priming sugar?

thanks

If that's 5 oz by weight, it would be a lot for 3.7 gallons. I don't know exactly where the dangerous level starts, but I think you're there.

It was probably finished fermenting, but you can't be sure if you didn't check gravity twice, 2 - 3 days apart to be sure it was stable. If it wasn't through fermenting, that adds to the bottle bomb potential.

If that's 5 oz by weight, it would be a lot for 3.7 gallons. I don't know exactly where the dangerous level starts, but I think you're there.

It was probably finished fermenting, but you can't be sure if you didn't check gravity twice, 2 - 3 days apart to be sure it was stable. If it wasn't through fermenting, that adds to the bottle bomb potential.

I did take a reading on day 15 and it was at 1.011 and on day 22 it was the same...so it was done fermenting. As for the sugar, I emptied the 5OZ bag that came with the kit into 16oz of boiling water

I'll have to agree. That's quite a bit of priming sugar. Plus, you used bigger bottles, so there's less headspace to compensate for the extra pressure. I'm not sure if it will result in bottle bombs, but I would definitely be cautious. If nothing else, they will certainly be over carbed. I would wait a few days, vent and recap.

Did you add the sugar to 5 gallons and then only bottle 3.7? If so you primed correctly. If not it is a lot.

Question? How did you lose so much to trub. The worst I have ever lost was about 1/2 gallon. Did you dry hop? (I use paint strainer bags for the hops, both in the boil and for dry hopping.) If not I would look carefully at your procedure to see why you lost so much.

Did you add the sugar to 5 gallons and then only bottle 3.7? If so you primed correctly. If not it is a lot.

Question? How did you lose so much to trub. The worst I have ever lost was about 1/2 gallon. Did you dry hop? (I use paint strainer bags for the hops, both in the boil and for dry hopping.) If not I would look carefully at your procedure to see why you lost so much.

Thinking more about it, I added the priming solution to the empty bottling bucket and filled the bucket to just over the 4 gallon mark...so like 4.25 gallons of which was primed with 5 oz of sugar. I did dry hop in primary and there was a lot of junk in the bottom of the fermenter that I didnt want to rack into the bottling bucket. There was a bit left at the end of the bottling bucket that was chunky looking so I just tossed it.....so looks like the combo of 3 gravity readings, a loss due to trub in primary and then a little left over in the bottling bucket accounts for my loss

Back