New member, first post/question, first wine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonsize

Reaction score
I am trying to make a 3 gallon must. My fruit juice is 288 oz @ 10.46 Brix as measured with a hydrometer. 78 oz more of water and sugar will give me the 3 gallons. How much sugar would I have to disolve in the 78 oz to give me a total Brix of around 22?
Or, what is the formula involved?
Thanks.
Spoonsize

I use THIS for all my calculations. Just click the sugar tab and change the units to brix and go from there. Should be pretty straight forward.

Thank you. That worked wonderfully.

Second question: It has been just over 4 days with the must in a fermentation bucket. After a day + I sealed it with a bucket top and installed an airlock. Today I am getting a bubble of gas about every 6 seconds. Is there a rule of thumb concerning the rate of bubbling and the time to dump it into a carboy with airlock?

I usually transfer with my SG is at 1.00 or below. Also don't "dump" it into a carboy use a siphon, you don't need to rack it at this point or worry about sediment but dumping the wine can lead to oxidization.

Don't use your airlock as a gauge for when to do things, use a hydrometer.

That sounded reasonable to me, so I checked the SG and it is around 1.040. It started around 1.090. After 4 days, does this sound about right to you?
Oh, and it a 3 gallon batch.
Thank you for the support.

Sounds fine to me, also i usually ferment my wine with just the lid placed over the bucket but not on tight and just a rag covering the airlock hole. I stir the wine at least once per day sometimes twice if I have a cap that needs punched down, this introduces oxygen to the wine/yeast, which at this point is a good thing. I stop stirring once the SG gets down to around 1.02 or so.

Into the carboy...

20130621_140429(1)-121505926.jpg

OMG! It's alive......Just like listening to a heartbeat! (wee not quite, but almost)

.....and that is not a bandaid, there is a temperatur probe under the "patch". Just because I can, that's all.

I follow the same concept as heavyw....but rack to carboy/top up/airlock around the 2/3 SG depletion point, some call it 2/3 sugar break. By this time the yeast is well established & things are finishing up, usually at a slower pace.

Welcome to the forum spoonsize!
*Sara

Back