Emerging microbrewery trend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait...but I don't look 40 and I am super immature...so I may just have a chance!

Hah, ok phew. My audio degree was useful until I had kids. Now I'm the only programmer in the office without one and I'm doing quite fine. Funding will come from Kickstarter, private fundraising parties, and investors with the intention of paying every cent back even if it takes 20 years.

I'm not really concerned, just playing along. I do understand where the OP is coming from but he/she should own up to being envious of the whipper snappers. Having kids and having been through a fair number of trials and tribulations, I understand work ethic and doing things little by little. It would bug me to see some spoiled kid get a huge check and brew like 10 hours a week and still make it, only because I'd be envious. I will have to go the slow deliberate route and continue working my day job to even begin to think a brewery will happen.

Comes down to how you were raised IMO. When i wanted money...my dad told me to get a job. When it was tax time...had to do my own taxes. Use to be upset about it but nowadays...I want something bad enough...I roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Not if you gauge your ears or have piercings. The goatee is okay though. :D

Crap, I've had the tops of my ears pierced for 15 years. It confuses the hell out of people in cubicle land, lol. Honestly, I'd have trouble trusting a brewer under 40 without at least a tattoo.

Crap, I've had the tops of my ears pierced for 15 years. It confuses the hell out of people in cubicle land, lol. Honestly, I'd have trouble trusting a brewer under 40 without at least a tattoo.

Ok now I have no idea where you stand... maybe your success will be determined by your business plan, dedication and a little bit of luck. :D

mattd2 said:
Ok now I have no idea where you stand... maybe your success will be determined by your business plan, dedication and a little bit of luck. :D

Well that's not the American dream. Where's the suffering as a corporate drone?

I believe that true success is in fact inherent. However, in this equal opportunity world everyone is a winner! Throw a little cash at any moderately intelligent child and they too can make it. When they screw up, throw a little more money at them and make it all better. This is no solution.

I now see that you just don't like people with money. What is wrong with money + moderate intelligence? Nothing, other than that they probably got an opportunity that you did not. That moderately intelligent child can develop into an outstanding business owner with the right support. Just because you feel like you are earning your supposed "American dream", doesn't mean that anyone else's path to the same dream is less valid.

Taking your logic, any child who's parents pay for them to go to college is entitled, right? The parents are making an investment into their kid's future. No different from helping them start a business.

What about a good solid beard? I don't have any tattoos. But a burly beard... I'm covered.

Talked to my father in law last night. He's gonna give me a bunch of money to start a brewery... Hurray, I didn't even have to work hard for it like I had to work for my house, nice car, fancy toys, and expensive hobbies. Now I can quit both my jobs I've been working to get by and just brew without a care in the world...

Oh God...I just realized that I am turning 31 at the end of May. When I turn over, if I start spouting out nonsense about the American dream and how my stereotypes are 95% accurate and how much I hate today's youth, please, please PLEASE kill me!

Oh God...I just realized that I am turning 31 at the end of May. When I turn over, if I start spouting out nonsense about the American dream and how my stereotypes are 95% accurate and how much I hate today's youth, please, please PLEASE kill me!

Hell, I'm a few years younger than you and I hate today's youth. SWMBO sometimes refers to me as a grumpy old man. :mad:

"I'd rather be dead than singing 'Satisfaction' when I'm forty five."
-Mick Jagger

I just turned 23 last week and the OP gets under my skin a little bit, partially because I have a hunch its directed towards me.

I have been drinking beer since my 21st birthday (that's the official story, at any rate), and I've had such a broad exposure to beer compared to the majority of my age who I'll hang out with at a craft brewery only, to my horror, to watch them order something like a PBA or a Bud while I indulge in the magical elixir that tastes like someone's achieved dream. My love for beer started early, and coupled with a love of the art of food, I was quickly able to develop a taste for it and find each beer's characteristics, flavors, strengths, weaknesses, etc that I loved, didn't like, and so on and so forth. I loved beer so much, that I decided to go out and buy a brewing kit.

If there's ever been a story of love at first sight, it would be written about me and my brewing kit. I've never had so much fun in my life making beer, and I've never been able to feel truly accomplished every time I open a bottle and drink something that I created. The entire process has been fun, even though I take it extremely seriously. I've built a library of beer-related literature and have brewed a number of beers over the past year, of which I've been a perfectionist but can't say that I'm perfect. I will most certainly agree that, yes, I am not near where the older, more experienced brewers are on these lines.

I quit my job at a bookstore (a year ago this May, actually) to start my own company, a managerial services corporation, which then acquired a contract to operate and staff a car rental agency. I have been working 7 days a week, 9-12 hours a day, since May 2012, and I don't see an end in sight anytime soon.

The largest battle I've had to face was lack of respect. Despite wearing a suit and tie every day, using "sir" and "ma'am" to address people, shaving, and being extremely mature and professional for my age, I get the same response everywhere I go: "But you're just a kid." I got that when I told my parents my intentions to go into business for myself, I got that from the State when I filed with the Secretary of State, I got it from every person and department I've interacted with since, and still do. At first, it got on my nerves, and while in a lot of ways it still does, I've never let it affect what I do and what I aspire to do.

I aspired to go into business for myself, and I'm succeeding (a college dropout, too, I might add). I have some debt from the startup costs, but it's nowhere near the exorbitant amount carried by many freshly graduated college students. My original intention was to start a brewery, but I realized and understood from the very start that a. I lacked the expertise, b. I lacked the business know-how, c. I lacked the finances and d. It would be a long process.

My goal is to open a microbrewery before I'm 30. Period. It's going to be a long road to get there, and I'm spending a lot of time working extremely hard at making a recipe that I can call my own, while figuring out the logistics and planning of it all. I'm drawing, drafting, designing, formulating, calculating, and factoring in every little detail that I can think of, especially the pitfalls, because I know they'll happen. Oh, and let me clarify, I'm doing all of this as preliminary planning, because it's going to be years down the road before I even take the business plan I'm writing and place it on a banker's desk to ask for a loan.

I'm sorry, but all of the pessimism and ridiculing, all of the nay-saying "well you're just a kid," that is all fodder that makes me smile and nod and say an internal "F*** you and watch me succeed." Yeah, it's a hard road ahead. It's been a hard road since I started my current career; but I don't believe in taking the easy one.

So go ahead and rant about how you dislike us young whippersnappers are aspiring to do things with our lives. While you're doing that, I'll be taking steps to prepare for my own future.

Cheers!

OP, if a child is a music prodigy is the music they make by nature of their age any less profound? If there parent bought them their instruments does it make their music any less credible? The answer is no. I'm one of those people that nothing comes easy to. Just about everything I have, i have had to earn. So I admire people who have family money that can afford them opportunities that I don't have and that's something I hope to do for my kids. In the words of my former CO "some people can fall backwards into a pile of dog **** and find a diamond" for the rest of us we will just have to keep plugging away until we get our shot.

Eisenhans it sounds like you are an exception to what the OP is talking about. I believe the people he is talking about are the kids without the drive and perseverance that you have. It's the ones who say "beer is neat, I'm going to open a brewery", get written a huge check on the spot, and go blindly into the business before they realize it's not the six figure job they had dreamed about. You are one step ahead realizing that you need time before you can make it happen.

You have to realize though, there are a lot of life lessons to learn between now and 30. Lots of experience to gain, not only in brewing but in life. I had my first kid at 24 and holy crap did that change my life. While I love the heck out of my kids, there are days I would kill to be in your shoes again with nowhere to go but my dreams each day. I would have to guess most of the harassment you get about your age comes from envy. From older people that have seen young guys aspire to do great things and fail and on many levels you are probably just being looked out for if it doesn't seem like it.

You have to realize too, even tough you've been working long hours for the past year, many of us have been doing that for a decade or three. There is a strain on your soul from doing so that there is no way you'll understand until you are there. It is likely that many younger people will get a brewery going, start to feel that strain, and puss out because they don't know how to deal with it yet. Older people see this happen and shake their heads knowing they could keep that business shining.

Sorry man, I don't mean to lecture. I applaud your efforts and it sucks to think you might be offended when I don't think this was meant for a guy like you. I'm a programmer by day and I work with a 25 year old that is one of the most amazing coders I've seen. He may not be as driven as you but he knows what he loves and he dove into it head first at a young age. I find it pretty cool.

Back