Forget your Whirlfoc or Irish moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably - but you don't *have* to use any clarifying agent. If I don't happen to have any on hand when I'm brewing, I do without. Honestly, I barely see a difference in the end. The biggest factor for beer clarity in my experience is simply time. Letting your beer sit in the fermenter for a month or five weeks with no clarifier will still get you a nice clear brew.

What Steve said along with plenty of time in the fridge. My beer is crystal clear just putting the bottles in my cellar after carbonating and I do not use anything to clear it for the most part.

A pipe line is a wonderful thing if you can store the beer cold for clarity.

You can also cold crash the beer prior to bottling. This involves placing the fermentor in a 40-45 F refrigerator for 24-72 hours to help with clarity. You can also add powdered Knox gelatin (unflavored) to the fermentor once it has been cold for 24 hours. This will also help with clarity.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/best-way-clarify-beer-102772/

yeah I know of the other ways to clear your beer, but no one addressed my question. I will cold crash my beer prior to bottling as I am brewing a yellow fizzy beer or is it a fizzy yellow beer?

You asked it if would work. Having no firsthand experience with it, I said it probably would. Question answered. I added that I wouldn't bother. Next time, I'll be more literal.

SOOOO.....:rolleyes:

I have a beer I kegged and gassed up almost a week ago. It's fully carbonated and I just pulled the first 5-6 pints for me and my neighbors and its SUPER cloudy. It's the "white house honey ale" and I was just wondering if there is anything I can do since it's already carbed up.

Gelatin?, Cold Crash (although its been sitting at about 38 degrees), any ideas?!?! Im obviously no pro and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
:mug:

here is a picture

photo 2.jpg

I usually use whirlfoc and then cold crash it for a week at 36-38 degree's. My last brew was an amber ale that i left in primary for 3 weeks and then cold crashed it for a week before keggings. Came out pretty nice and clear. I should be able to pull a pint mid week and see how it's coming out.

Cloudiness is a stability issue not just a cosmetic issue. First check your process. Do you have appropriate calcium in your wort? Are you mashing appropriately to control the protein and glucan haze bits? Are you using kettle clarifying agents? Do you obtain a boil of sufficient vigor and length to create good protein break? Do you chill appropriately to obtain cold break? Do you seperate the cold break from the wort prior to transfer? Is your sanitation appropriate? Do you have wild yeast and or lactic acid bacteria? Are you cold conditioning your beer to obtain yeast drop out? Does your yeast flocculate well? Do you dry hop? That could add haze. These are a few things to consider.

highgravitybacon said:
Cloudiness is a stability issue not just a cosmetic issue. First check your process. Do you have appropriate calcium in your wort? Are you mashing appropriately to control the protein and glucan haze bits? Are you using kettle clarifying agents? Do you obtain a boil of sufficient vigor and length to create good protein break? Do you chill appropriately to obtain cold break? Do you seperate the cold break from the wort prior to transfer? Is your sanitation appropriate? Do you have wild yeast and or lactic acid bacteria? Are you cold conditioning your beer to obtain yeast drop out? Does your yeast flocculate well? Do you dry hop? That could add haze. These are a few things to consider.

I usually don't use kettle clarifying agents but I just purchased some for the future. My boil is vigorous and I use an immersion wort chiller. I'm a clean freak so sanitation is a priority. I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. I usually let time do it's thing and I've never cold conditioned my beer. I usually have a fair amount of trub and I use secondary fermentation to help with the clarity. No wild yeast that I'm aware of. No dry hopping. My efficiency is fairly high so I assume my yeast is flocculating well. I see yeasties doing the yeastie dance in the carboy butttt.......
Separate cold break?
But my real question is can I use gelatin in my keg after its been carbed for like a week?

lebucheron said:
Time will clear it, but that beer might not last too long. :)

I've been going to town on it although its all cloudy. Tastes fine. Just isnt pretty looking. I'm probably a gallon down already.

SteveM said:
It looks ok according to the picture. Except for some reason, it doesn't pour out of a sideways glass.

Yeah I couldn't get the picture to stand up straight hahaha.

Back