What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say I agree on Goose Island. I enjoy most of their stuff. I'm probably a bit biased due to my location.

I've generally enjoyed the Goose Island stuff I've had (IPA, Honkers and Mild Winter). Although we are much more limited on what US beers we can get, so I probably don't have quite as much to compare it to.

2012 sofie is blah, very boring Belgian ale. The 2011 batches are much better, a bit tart and way crispier (possible lacto infection at some point along the way, most of the bottles even gush a bit) but damn its good.

Your first clue should have been maple . No way should this ever be in a beer or anything else I am eating or drinking . Next Bacon . Bacon ? WTF ? Yuk . Was you planning on frying this up and having it with eggs and pancakes ?

Let me sum this up for everyone who thinks about drinking a beer with maple , bacon , cod , beef, rat droppings or other non beer items in it ....YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK ! Gag me with a spoon , YUK.

I can honestly say that Rogues Bacon Maple beer is the ONLY craft beer that I have poured out. I literally could not drink it. Worst craft beer ever... I'd rather drink a Bud Light.

Another terrible beer: Billies Chilies. I understand its not going to be an everyday sipping beer, but really it tastes like chili flavored water.

Not sure if these all count as craft brews, and please don't hate me for some:

1. Anchor Steam - I hate it, no redeeming qualities to me
2. Anything Leinenkugel (not really craft, but they try to pretend to be)
3. Lagunitas IPA - something about it rubbed me the wrong way and I love hoppy beers.
4. Buffalo Bayou Hefeweizen - too much yeast flavor and too thin at the same time.

Cismontane Brut Sauvin, Rogue Bacon Maple both were poored out mid bottle. Fantome Printemps also really bad, but i think it went skunky before I opened it. Tasted lime Heineken, so sad.

3. Lagunitas IPA - something about it rubbed me the wrong way and I love hoppy beers.

I also was not a fan either. Wouldn't say it's on my list of "worst", but wouldn't buy it again. It was not even hoppy to me and tasted more like a wheat beer than anything else.

I also was not a fan either. Wouldn't say it's on my list of "worst", but wouldn't buy it again. It was not even hoppy to me and tasted more like a wheat beer than anything else.

I just remember it being boring and falling flat. Like they only added hops at the beginning of the boil.

My worst was by far Flying Dog's Pearl Necklace. This was my first, and probably last, oyster stout. I like oysters. I like stouts. But I like to keep the two separated. Left a funky aftertaste.

My worst was by far Flying Dog's Pearl Necklace. This was my first, and probably last, oyster stout. I like oysters. I like stouts. But I like to keep the two separated. Left a funky aftertaste.

Saw an oyster beer somewhere once (Abita brewery maybe?) and just had 0 interest in trying it. Then again I rarely try beers with fruits in them at all.

I do think I want to try one though. It may suck, but at least I know. I think that is also the lure of the maple bacon beer too that basically tops this list!

I had had a few of the other Flying Dog's that I really liked so I'm like "Let's try this, I love stouts". Should've gotten it in a pick six rather than an entire 6 pack. In terms of crafts, yeah its probably the worst I've had, but for me it was more because it didn't seem special to me at all.

Took first sip, oh, kind of stouty, ok, thats good. Took second sip, rolled it around in my mouth, still, just, kind of stouty. When I realized it wasn't going to be much of anything after that I just jumped on my computer and played some video games while downing the rest of the six pack. Made the beer taste better.

Disclaimer: I never pour a beer out, if I'm about to sit down to try a couple crafty beers, and the first one turns out to be junk, I just down that and move to drinking one of my stand-bys and get drunk (Old Chub, I can't get enough of this).

ZÔN by Boulevard brewing. Only beer I have ever intentionally dumped out, then appologized to my friend who gave it to me. He apparently had reacted the same way when he drank it and wanted to see what I would do after trying it.

1. Anchor Steam - I hate it, no redeeming qualities to me
2. Anything Leinenkugel (not really craft, but they try to pretend to be)
1. Agree completely. The summer beer is the same.
2. Poorly made and sickly sweet.
3. If I had this offering from the first, I would have turned away their other great beers. Not my fav.

Can't expect much from goose island...that stuff is all mediocre at best. Same page as Sam Adams in my book.

I really can't bash Goose Island. Granted, it was back in the mid 90s, but it's the brewery taht got me into craft beer. I'll admit, I don't drink a lot of their beer anymore, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart and a taste for the old Honker's Ale. I'm sure things have changed since production was shipped to NY, but I wonder how much of that is really taste and how much is influenced by the hatred for their ABInbev ownership. Although I know Chicago water is quite a bit different than NY water, so that could have a lot to do with the taste as well.

As far as 312 goes, I always figured that was Goose Islands attempt to lure BMC drinkers into the craft beer area.

I had had a few of the other Flying Dog's that I really liked so I'm like "Let's try this, I love stouts". Should've gotten it in a pick six rather than an entire 6 pack. In terms of crafts, yeah its probably the worst I've had, but for me it was more because it didn't seem special to me at all.

Took first sip, oh, kind of stouty, ok, thats good. Took second sip, rolled it around in my mouth, still, just, kind of stouty. When I realized it wasn't going to be much of anything after that I just jumped on my computer and played some video games while downing the rest of the six pack. Made the beer taste better.

Disclaimer: I never pour a beer out, if I'm about to sit down to try a couple crafty beers, and the first one turns out to be junk, I just down that and move to drinking one of my stand-bys and get drunk (Old Chub, I can't get enough of this).

I'm really digging Old Chub lately, just had it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Been in the mood for Scotch Ales lately...

Clonefan94 said:
.........but I wonder how much of that is really taste and how much is influenced by the hatred for their ABInbev ownership.

I personally think a good deal of it is influenced by hatred for AB. I'm not saying Goose Island is the best thing out there, but I've never had one of their beers that was bad or anywhere near something I'd include in a list of worst craft beer. I guarantee there were people drinking it just fine up until the moment they learned of the ownership shift and then immediately said they could taste the difference.

WesleyS said:
I personally think a good deal of it is influenced by hatred for AB. I'm not saying Goose Island is the best thing out there, but I've never had one of their beers that was bad or anywhere near something I'd include in a list of worst craft beer. I guarantee there were people drinking it just fine up until the moment they learned of the ownership shift and then immediately said they could taste the difference.

I agree. "The 2010 Sophia was delicious, but now that they've changed hands the 2013 Sophia sucks!" I just had a bottle last night, and it's still a quality beer. I haven't had anything from them that I haven't liked.

I'm not sure this is the worst commercial craft brew I've had, but I had Roscoe's Hop House IPA a couple weeks ago and couldn't finish it. Had to put it down the drain.

Thankfully, I bought it as a single.

I forgot about this one.....thanks for dredging up some horrible memories.

I never had Goose island until a couple weeks ago. I had the IPA and it was ok, nothing bad but nothing great either, kinda forgettable.

Upland brewery helios pale ale. Ive never tasted so much diacetyl in my life. They are in bloomington indiana (home of INDIANA UNIVERSITY) I go to purdue, but this plays no bias in this case. The brewery is said to make awesome lambics but most all of the "regular" beers they make are terrible. Most are bland. But helios pale is terrible. I havent had a beer thats been worse. I recomend you all to try it so you can learn how not to make beer.

I have been struggling to make a good IPA (all of mine suck so far) but id rather drink my worse ipa vs their butterscotch infested helios. Makes me really think they care 0% about their product, that is a flavor that should have been weeded out in their trial batches

I too am a Boilermaker. I lived in Btown for 2 years. I enjoy most of Upland's beers, but hoppy beers are not their strength.

There is this place called Dempseys in South Dakota and they make the most disgusting beer I have tasted. Everything is old/stale and has bad off flavors of butter.

Don't forget. S.D. Is about 15 years behind.

Buffalo chocolate stout. Hardley a taste worth of chocolate. Willie Wonka would be disapointed. No flavor of any stout either. Disapointing. The price. Forget it. Not worth it. . & Lagauntias, cappacuino stout? Coffee stout. Was not the hype the label made it out to be. Burnt coffee with flat coke. "strong flavor" it was not. Maybe it's just me. I like a great strong dark stout, porter, ale.

I can honestly say that Rogues Bacon Maple beer is the ONLY craft beer that I have poured out. I literally could not drink it. Worst craft beer ever...

For a second there I had to double check whether this was my post. Hands-down - Rouges take on a Voodoo donuts maple bacon donut is the worst beer every made. A cross between liquid smoke, cough syrup, and god knows what else. It's been a year since I had a taste and it still makes me cringe thinking about it. . . . Rouge went down several notches after that complete sell out. . .

:rockin:

Buffalo chocolate stout. Hardley a taste worth of chocolate. Willie Wonka would be disapointed. No flavor of any stout either. Disapointing. The price. Forget it. Not worth it. . & Lagauntias, cappacuino stout? Coffee stout. Was not the hype the label made it out to be. Burnt coffee with flat coke. "strong flavor" it was not. Maybe it's just me. I like a great strong dark stout, porter, ale.

I too wasn't impressed with the lagunitas cappuchino stout. It was decent but nothing I will but again. A little watery and not any coffee/cappuchino flavor I could detect.

1. Agree completely. The summer beer is the same.
2. Poorly made and sickly sweet.
3. If I had this offering from the first, I would have turned away their other great beers. Not my fav.

On Lagunita's: it's pretty much why I haven't had any of their others. I should try out some of them and see if they are more to my liking.

On Lagunita's: it's pretty much why I haven't had any of their others. I should try out some of them and see if they are more to my liking.

Hey and if you do, you aren't breaking the bank. I love Maximus, Shut Down Ale, Sucks Ale, and my fave, Hop Stoopid.

Thought of another, which I bet I will get flack for:

Stone/Dogfish Head/Victory - Saison du Buff
None of those spices belong in a beer. I felt like I was drinking cold unfinished broth.

Hey and if you do, you aren't breaking the bank. I love Maximus, Shut Down Ale, Sucks Ale, and my fave, Hop Stoopid.

I feel like I might have had Hop Stoopid before but can't remember any details. Will look for it on my next beer run (which is tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how work goes)

I had some beer from a brewery in Washington. It was a maibock done as an ale (I guess it was supposed to be a dead guy knock off). It tasted like apple juice -- so full of aceidelhyde(sp). Its was in a bomber, it was awful. I went right back to the store I bought it (they recommended it) and told them how bad it was and they should take it off the shelves or send it back. I guess they listened to me about how bad it was, they didn't send it back, but the knocked the price down to $3.99 for a 22oz bomber. Which is pretty cheap by craft beer standards around here. I wouldn't drink that again, unless somebody paid me.

I recently had a friends first attempt at homebrew, a mr beer kit. It was their Pilsner, but its made with pre-hopped extract and coopers ale yeast. This beer I purchased tasted pretty similar but worse.

Finally, someone who agrees with me!
I thought I was alone in thinking that one majorly sucked.
I think an argument could be made that there's a good reason humans moved on from that drink.

Gordon Biersch looked at this place all week in las vegas last month while working a trade show. Finally got to go the last day. Absolutely the most horrible beer I have ever tasted. Supposedly a czech pilsner it was Stale, sour, & flat, not under carbed, flat no head no lacing just nasty my coworker said you make better beer than this in you garage he had the marzen . I drank BL form a keg that had been floating in pool for a week after HS graduation and it tasted better than that. But the food was good.

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/beer/hand-crafted-beers/red-ale

Edit: 1000!

Gordon Biersch looked at this place all week in las vegas last month while working a trade show. Finally got to go the last day. Absolutely the most horrible beer I have ever tasted. Supposedly a czech pilsner it was Stale, sour, & flat, not under carbed, flat no head no lacing just nasty my coworker said you make better beer than this in you garage he had the marzen . I drank BL form a keg that had been floating in pool for a week after HS graduation and it tasted better than that. But the food was good.

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/beer/hand-crafted-beers/red-ale

Edit: 1000!
The one in NOLA is not as bad as you describe, maybe it's the brew master at fault? (I've noticed something similar with BJ's, some of them have decent beer, others have utter ****).

Even if you don't like the beer, in NOLA there's a nice trick that you can park in the Harrah's parking garage for free with a purchase at Gordon Biersch. So what I normally do is get a beer to drink while walking through the French Quarter.

Ill hold you to that when I go to NOLA in the fall.:D Could have been that over processed water they have out there. I like my NC mountain creek water. But ill try it again and ill use your parking trick thanks for the tip!

Back