Refurbishing an old tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppersteak

Reaction score
Anyone have an experience getting an old tower back into working order?

A friend of mine gave me this to me and don't have a clue where to start. It's been sitting in storage and I like to get it in working order.

It's got 4 lines going in and is insulated all the way down. I was going to start disassembling it but I don't want to mess anything up and if there's a better way I'm all ears.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

Are you wanting to keep the patina or do you want to make it look all shiney and new?

Get a tap wrench and remove the faucets for starters.

I got the faucets off (Perlick's) they seem to be in good shape. I think eventually I'll clean it up, but right now more interested in getting some homebrew flowing through it

photo (5).jpg

Looks like you got two beer lines and two cooling lines. I would replace the beer lines with new ones. The cooling lines can just hang down in the cool of the kegerator if thats what you're planning.

Yeah I was planning on replacing the beer lines but can't seem to figure out how to disconnect them from the faucet hook ups since it's insulated all the way up.

Yeah, I don't think those lines are coming out. Unless you take the time to dig out all of the insulation.

Yeah they're not coming out. Just tried digging some out and it's a mess. You think I the beer lines could be cleaned with some beer line cleaner?

Dumb question but did you take the top cap off to get access to the lines? Looks like someone put a couple of dings to hold the cap on. That way you can get access to the beer lines.

Dumb question but did you take the top cap off to get access to the lines? Looks like someone put a couple of dings to hold the cap on. That way you can get access to the beer lines.

That's the top of the insulation. The cap is setting on the tabletop next to the base of the tower.

That's going to take a lot of digging. If the lines are stainless I'd run hot PBW through or beer line cleaner through them then rinse them well.

That's the top of the insulation. The cap is setting on the tabletop next to the base of the tower.

That's going to take a lot of digging. If the lines are stainless I'd run hot PBW through or beer line cleaner through them then rinse them well.

Ah. Couldn't see it on my phone. I'd say if you wanted to get the foam out take a course cable (say the brake line off of a bicycle) and if you could skewer down the foam and thread the cable through the other end and back up. Then you could use the brake line line a cable saw and pull back and forth cutting thru the foam. It might not be the prettiest cut but you could probably cut it away from the lines and pull them out without having to resort to some drill or dremel.

Even if you did manage to dig out the insulation, chances are, you would need to replace the faucet shanks as you need a barb fitting to install the plastic beer lines. If the tubing is actually stainless steel as one poster mentioned, your best bet would be to use some PBW cleaner, get a keg dip tube cleaning brush: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/liquid-tube-brush.html and scrub the crap out of the inside of those liquid lines while the faucets are off. Then with the faucet off, soak them a bit in hot water and PBW and use a faucet brush on the inside of them to give those a really good cleaning: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/faucet-brush.html I would then run some beer line cleaner through that for a final flush and you should be good to go. Since it's been sitting in storage for some time, you don't know if it was put away cleaned or if there was stuff left inside of it.

EDIT: Don't forget to scrub the inside of the shanks where the faucets sit and I would replace any of the seals on them as well.

Try some acetone on the foam, and see if it disintegrates it.................Nail polish remover contains acetone, albeit adulterated with fragrances and what not.

Back