Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poppy, 5-7 year old rescue terrier mutt. Found her in an abandoned house, in a crate, with a bow in her hair and toenails painted. Had her for three years now. First is in the middle of a hike on the mountain to sea trail, second is her helping with installing trim in our kitchen renovation.

House hunting 009.jpg

House remodeling 257.jpg

pedimac said:
Poppy, 5-7 year old rescue terrier mutt. Found her in an abandoned house, in a crate, with a bow in her hair and toenails painted. Had her for three years now. First is in the middle of a hike on the mountain to sea trail, second is her helping with installing trim in our kitchen renovation.

Ahhh! What a cute dog!

The old man passed out with tongue lolling. I Honestly wasn't sure if he was dead or sleeping. Once I realized he was sleeping, it got cute.

Ozman.jpg

sonofgrok said:
The old man passed out with tongue lolling. I Honestly wasn't sure if he was dead or sleeping. Once I realized he was sleeping, it got cute.

You know they're old when you check their breathing at least once a week...

HellBound said:
That is a good looking dog sir. How old?

He is 18 weeks. The vet said he is gonna be a big solid boy. He is very well mannered and loves the boat.

nghtmre4u said:
He is 18 weeks. The vet said he is gonna be a big solid boy. He is very well mannered and loves the boat.

Boxer right? They usually are. They're such a smart breed.

image-3941008635.jpg

Bella is the black one. She's a Nefie/Lab mix. Cocoa is the brown one. We rescued him dodging traffic on a major highway. I pulled over and called him and he jumped right in my truck and he's been a member of our family ever since!

They're both 4 and are best buds! :)

DSC03831.jpg

another pair of great lookin' dogs!

cocoa has a very piercing gaze... bet he's a smart one.

Thanks. LOL about your comment on Cocoa! I think he's too smart for his own good. My wife and I joke all the time that he thinks he's human! :D

I've posted pics of my Howdy in this forum and <-- there he is! my avatar! Der Bier Hund!

he's hurting today. and I'm asking you guys if any of you have had this happen to your dog:

we took him into the vet this past Saturday to update his shots (I'll edit later to list the ones he got, if anyone thinks it's relevant) and he seemed a little out of it on Sunday, but good on Monday and Tuesday

today, he just doesn't want to move at all. won't jump up, won't go down the stairs. can't get him to eat. we usually have morning family time, but the BigHair is out of town, thought he might be upset over that. had him up on the bed, had to lift him. when it got time to start the day, he didn't even move.

later on he started shivering. when he laid down, he started twitching, I thought he was having a seizure, but it was his shivering. we were up pretty late last night, finishing up a brew day. thought maybe he got into some hops, but all were accounted for.

tried to take him for a walk, something he usually drags us around on, but today he didn't want to go. when he went to jump up on a curb, his front legs made it, but his back legs gave out on him.

so I took him to the vet. on the way, he started panting, and I started freaking out thinking that maybe he did get into some hops.

vet checked his temperature, it was fine, so now I'm not worried about hops, wth else could it be?

turns out, he hurt his back. low down near his tail. he doesn't want to move or jump or climb because it hurts. doc gave us something for the pain/inflammation and we came home

the BigHair had to remind me: the almost exact same thing happened about the same time last year right after he got the exact same shots.

last year, a couple days after he got his shots, he couldn't walk on his hind legs at all. we had to take him down to Virginia Tech to have surgery.

this time, it isn't nearly as severe, but WTH? is this coincidence?

I've posted pics of my Howdy in this forum and <-- there he is! my avatar! Der Bier Hund!

he's hurting today. and I'm asking you guys if any of you have had this happen to your dog:

we took him into the vet this past Saturday to update his shots (I'll edit later to list the ones he got, if anyone thinks it's relevant) and he seemed a little out of it on Sunday, but good on Monday and Tuesday

today, he just doesn't want to move at all. won't jump up, won't go down the stairs. can't get him to eat. we usually have morning family time, but the BigHair is out of town, thought he might be upset over that. had him up on the bed, had to lift him. when it got time to start the day, he didn't even move.

later on he started shivering. when he laid down, he started twitching, I thought he was having a seizure, but it was his shivering. we were up pretty late last night, finishing up a brew day. thought maybe he got into some hops, but all were accounted for.

tried to take him for a walk, something he usually drags us around on, but today he didn't want to go. when he went to jump up on a curb, his front legs made it, but his back legs gave out on him.

so I took him to the vet. on the way, he started panting, and I started freaking out thinking that maybe he did get into some hops.

vet checked his temperature, it was fine, so now I'm not worried about hops, wth else could it be?

turns out, he hurt his back. low down near his tail. he doesn't want to move or jump or climb because it hurts. doc gave us something for the pain/inflammation and we came home

the BigHair had to remind me: the almost exact same thing happened about the same time last year right after he got the exact same shots.

last year, a couple days after he got his shots, he couldn't walk on his hind legs at all. we had to take him down to Virginia Tech to have surgery.

It might be an allergic reaction to one of the shots. When my dog got her first vaccinations, her face looked puffy and she was very lethargic. Could not walk straight, twitching. She cleared up in a few days but now the vet wants to keep over night any time she gets shots.

I am leaning towards allergic reaction or crappy shot administer...er. However, I am not a qualified, certified vet plus I am barely a ration human being so take a grain of salt with that advice. I do give my dogs all of their shots that I am allowed to though myself.

I had that happen too, it was two weeks after the dog got shots on his check-up, then his back legs go out, 5000$ in vet bills later he die'ed. If I could go back in time, I would have kept him at home and in bed longer and not checked him into the hospital.

I had that happen too, it was two weeks after the dog got shots on his check-up, then his back legs go out, 5000$ in vet bills later he die'ed. If I could go back in time, I would have kept him at home and in bed longer and not checked him into the hospital.

sorry about your puppy.

we did get a quote for surgery here at a local hospital for $6000. just for the surgery.

we were || close to putting him down when our regular vet recommended Virginia Tech. they did the surgery for $2000.

here he is last year
(yeah, that's me, BUFF who had had no sleep for 2 days)

SAM_0012.jpg

HellBound said:
Boxer right? They usually are. They're such a smart breed.

Yes he is a sealed boxer and very smart and funny I love him lol he is my first boxer

sorry about your puppy.

we did get a quote for surgery here at a local hospital for $6000. just for the surgery.

we were || close to putting him down when our regular vet recommended Virginia Tech. they did the surgery for $2000.

here he is last year

View attachment 120920

No no, the puppy is fine, I was talking about the dog before that. The puppy is growing like a weed.

Attachments

• IMG_20130425_102355_995.jpg
    IMG_20130425_102355_995.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 174
sorry about your puppy.

here he is last year

View attachment 120920

Oh ****. Good for you to spend the money. That's a hard decision.

That's a pretty long cut. My aussies get shaved down to this:

They should be getting their haircut shortly.

MC

I did it myself with my own hair clippers. What a PITA to get down to where I got it. We need to invest in sheep sheers if this is going to be a normal thing.

Good looking dogs btw! We are looking to get a red-bi in the future. Although having two Aussies has to be a handful.

GrogNerd said:

I've heard about bad reactions to vaccines in dogs. Except for rabies, you can decline if you want. My previous dog got regular vaccines, heart worm preventatives, etc. for her first few years. After that, nothing but an occasional rabies vaccine. No flea/tick or heart worm stuff. She was unchained outdoor and indoor dog with zero health problems until about 14 years old, when arthritis got bad. May have been luck and great genes, but she was very healthy.

I hope your dog feels better soon. What was the surgery for the last time?

I've heard about bad reactions to vaccines in dogs. Except for rabies, you can decline if you want. My previous dog got regular vaccines, heart worm preventatives, etc. for her first few years. After that, nothing but an occasional rabies vaccine. No flea/tick or heart worm stuff. She was unchained outdoor and indoor dog with zero health problems until about 14 years old, when arthritis got bad. May have been luck and great genes, but she was very healthy.

I hope your dog feels better soon. What was the surgery for the last time?

hurt his back. just like yesterday.

not sure if it was a reaction to the vaccs or what. last year they said he had twisted his back. yesterday it just wasn't as severe

I am a vet and I can say for certain no shots will make a dog paralyzed with a blown disk. That is not a vaccine reaction or crappy administrator as another has suggested. I like Beagles but they have their issues just like other breeds. One of those tends to be low pain tolerance, back issues (IVDD), and an issue called Beagle pain syndrome just to name a few. This time could definitely be just pain related (are you sore after getting shots for a few days) or he could have truly injured his back again but the shots did not directly cause it.

My Reggie. I've posted him here before. He's been gone since Tuesday. Was working at a buddy's homestead up in the hills and Reg took off. Headed back up to look for him again today. Hoping he didn't get dragged along by some idiot hiker on the AT. The ones I talked to yesterday were clueless that the trail essentially goes through people's back yards up there.

image-3398965891.jpg

He just turned 8, I've had him since I could hold him in one hand it's really tearing me up.

TNGabe said:
My Reggie. I've posted him here before. He's been gone since Tuesday. Was working at a buddy's homestead up in the hills and Reg took off. Headed back up to look for him again today. Hoping he didn't get dragged along by some idiot hiker on the AT. The ones I talked to yesterday were clueless that the trail essentially goes through people's back yards up there.

He just turned 8, I've had him since I could hold him in one hand it's really tearing me up.

Ill be praying you find your buddy. Good luck man

Make a bunch of pictures of him with your information printed on them and hand them out to everyone. My friend found his dog that way, some fishermen called and said they had him. Praying for you guys.

that sounds exactly like my dog, a nova scotia duck tolling retriever.
Our family knew exactly what type of dog it was before we read your comments. We had a mix that probably was part NSDTR and we are kinda dogheads. Yours is a perfect example of the breed.

TNGabe said:

Good luck finding Reggie

Post signs in the area
Drop flyers off at local vets, stores etc

TNGabe said:

Hope you find Reggie!

Craigslist is also a great tool for finding dogs. I saw one here in my city where somebody's husky got loose and posted an ad on Craigslist every couple of days with pictures. 3 weeks after it happened somebody who read the posts saw a shady guy walking a husky and recognized it. They stopped the guy and called the owner. It was pretty cool to see how it played out.

Back