Hot Sauce Forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot sauce making forum on HBT?

• Yes!

• Nah

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tiber_Brew

It's about the beer.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're taking a poll to get an idea of how many here would support the idea of a hot sauce forum here on HBT.

Currently, there's one focal thread on the topic, but I feel it could use its own forum to get the full potential. I know many homebrewers are generally "crafty" people, hence the cheese, meat smoking, cooking & pairing, etc. forums here.

Perhaps a hot sauce making forum could be supported here?

I voted yes, but I really don't know if it is enough to need its own dedicated forum. It would at least need to expanded to pepper growing.

Or what about a food processing forum or something along those lines. It could have canning, preserving, fermenting, and hot sauce making.

Knowing almost nothing about website/forum administration, is it as simple as just cutting and pasting template code, naming the new forum and putting a link on the homepage? If so, I would say having a hotsauce forum is a no-brainer.

If it requires a full night of work and debugging for a forum that will likely have considerably lower volume than one of the "main" brewing forums, I would think it to be not worth the trouble.

Knowing almost nothing about website/forum administration, is it as simple as just cutting and pasting template code, naming the new forum and putting a link on the homepage? If so, I would say having a hotsauce forum is a no-brainer.

If it requires a full night of work and debugging for a forum that will likely have considerably lower volume than one of the "main" brewing forums, I would think it to be not worth the trouble.

I imagine it would take about the same amount of effort and space as the cheese making or meat smoking & curing forums. How much that is on either account exactly, I'm not sure.

Hot sauce is the bomb! I vote yes for a hot sauce & Hot pepper forum!

Made a delicious Habanero lime cheesecake last year with homegrown habs! Went great with a mango hab sauce that my buddy made!

I freeken love hot sauce, but what about the other sauces!!! How about mopping sauce for low and slow smoking or making the next BBQ sauce a sweet and spicy caramelize sauce from heaven. Why just hot sauce? Not trying to make trouble, just ask'n?

I freeken love hot sauce, but what about the other sauces!!! How about mopping sauce for low and slow smoking or making the next BBQ sauce a sweet and spicy caramelize sauce from heaven. Why just hot sauce? Not trying to make trouble, just ask'n?

What about Salsa?

I don't know what the consensus is, but I feel like BBQ sauces, etc. would be better in either the meat or cooking forum. Hot sauce seems to have its own following, but maybe that's just my impression.

Midwest Supplies has their own section for hot sauce making and supplies. With availability of packaging, ingredients, tips, recipes, and uses, the forum could do pretty well. But, maybe not? I guess that's what we're here to find out.

I suggest someone who knows hot sauce just start the definitive Official Hot Sauce Thread in Cooking and Pairing. Everyone start posting in there, including recipes and commercial tastings. It doesn't seem to me to have enough facets to warrant a whole forum.

The problem isn't so much with making the sub-forum (on vBulletin and BBB and such, it is really easy) but with finding people to moderate said forum, and dealing with the concept that the website is becoming too much of a little-bit-for-everyone and drifting away from the original point--home brewing.

That being said, I am an absolute chilihead. When it comes to food and beverage, Beer and Hotsauce are the two things I love most in this world. So I definitely would love to see a sub-forum with recipes, techniques and hints and it would be awesome to have it right here on HBT where I spend so much of my time lurking anyway.

I want--nay, NEED--to replicate Blair's Pure Death sauce. Four ingredients: Jolokia, Habanero, Vinegar, Salt. Best sauce I've ever had. Only place I could find it around here stopped selling it. Hotsauce lovers UNITE!

I'll second dataz on the idea of a canning/preserving/hot sauce/fermented food section. There's plenty of facets there.

I love canning, I keep trying to join one of the LDS canning forums. Their like "get out of here you fat drunk-O!!!" I'm like "hey I just want to talk canning" Their like "tell us whats the worst thing you've done in the last week". I'm like, "ok I'll leave". :smack:

But yes I like canning.

I love canning, I keep trying to join one of the LDS canning forums. Their like "get out of here you fat drunk-O!!!" I'm like "hey I just want to talk canning" Their like "tell us whats the worst thing you've done in the last week". I'm like, "ok I'll leave". :smack:

But yes I like canning.

Heathen! :mug:

I have a a bunch of different hot peppers, including some superhots. I'd love to get ideas for recipes to use them in.

eric19312 said:
Is this about fermenter hot sauce? I've done vinegar based sauce but since I made a sour beer I'm into the idea of a fermented hot sauce.

This just took a very interesting turn.

Does anyone have a hot sauce to sugar addition ratio yet? I'm thinking a one gallon batch is in the works. 2 lbs sugar and hmmm what would I use for this, Montrachet? I have some s-23 floating around.....

FermentNEthinG said:
Want to ferment some gochujang? My mother makes it I can't live without the stuff.
It is made from DME (listed as malted barley powder) and fermented with wild yeasts...who wouldn't love that? :D

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujang

Awwwwno, look out now! Now were onto something, I was just going to mix hot sauce and sugar, this IS interesting!

I think there are way too many subforums already. Granted I would rather have a hot sauce forum than attempt to decide if my post about which yeast to use should go in the yeast, fermentation, beginner brewing, homebrewing, general beer discussion or one of the forty two other subforums.

Now that they created a "food and drink" category, I think it would be a good idea.

I tried my first crack at fermented chile hot sauce thus year. It consisted of chopped super hot chiles (Carolina reaper, Red Mouruga, and ghost), a bottle of Riesling, chopped carrots, salt, and a shot of sauerkraut juice in the jar I was fermenting the peppers in for 5 months.

One that was done, I put the peppers through a food mill, and then mixed in some garlic, salt, vinegar, some of the liquid from fermenting, and paprika (mostly for color). Simmered that for a little bit, thickened it with some xanthan gum, and put it into jars.

The sauce is incredibly hot, meaning you don't want to use more than a drop on a portion, but also very good.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

My nutrient lineup for this season's peppers. Super hots!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399564284.835118.jpg

Always wanted to try this, but didn't understand about the "mash" process used. I think fermented sauce aged in wood would be tasty. I've got one super hot plant this season (reaper), but the rest are normal varieties (love Mexican food) except for a cayenne plant. Would love to make my own wing sauce pepper blend. Doing my plants in hydroponic this year. So far going strong.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Always wanted to try this, but didn't understand about the "mash" process used. I think fermented sauce aged in wood would be tasty. I've got one super hot plant this season (reaper), but the rest are normal varieties (love Mexican food) except for a cayenne plant. Would love to make my own wing sauce pepper blend. Doing my plants in hydroponic this year. So far going strong.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cayenne is great for wing sauce. Great flavor and the bright red color makes for excellent presentation.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411952494.761162.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411952530.621348.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411952562.146894.jpg

I vote yes! Here's a big batch of Habenero ghost pepper hot sauce I made today.

2lbs Habenero
12 dried ghost peppers
7 cu vinegar
8 tsp minced garlic
1Tb himilayan pink salt

Boil 20 min, purée, simmer 15 min, strain seeds and package.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't know if traffic would support a new sub forum but I'd gladly share my stuff. I make sauce every year with peppers out of my garden (habaneros mostly) ...it's awesome sauce .

IMG_0539.jpg

See the hot sauce recipe thread. Enough action there to quench your thirst. Love those immersion blenders! Nice looking batch!

So anybody doing a pepper mash? It sounds much like fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut...
got a S-ton of chiles and throwing them out - too many to eat!

Tried to can some in pressure cooker with vinegar, but some of the vinegar boiled out of the cans! Never done pressure canning before, only water bath. Are you supposed to fill the canner with water to submerge the lids when pressure canning?

TD

So anybody doing a pepper mash? It sounds much like fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut...
got a S-ton of chiles and throwing them out - too many to eat!

Tried to can some in pressure cooker with vinegar, but some of the vinegar boiled out of the cans! Never done pressure canning before, only water bath. Are you supposed to fill the canner with water to submerge the lids when pressure canning?

TD

No reason to toss pods. The are a million ways to preserve them. Dehydrate freeze, ferment... Etc check this thread out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=397374

Back