1-1/4" SS nut for my kettle element??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post it in the Electric board...

Anyways, I bought an element at Canadian Tire that sort of looks like this :
water-heater-element-2853.jpg

My plan was to buy a 1-1/4" SS nut to weld on my kettle so I could screw/unscrew the element in case it breaks or to wash it.

Problem is... I can't find any nuts of this size anywhere! How'd you guys do it?

id be careful that is a hex nut, not a lock nut.

its thread is not a pipe thread

Are you sure the thread is 1-1/4" NPS on your element?

1" NPS, which is the standard water heater element size, is actually ~1-1/4" OD.

If it is actually 1-1/4" NPS, then the thread pitch on those ebay screw nuts is wrong.

In any case, this is a good source for what you're probably looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XEKRR0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
id be careful that is a hex nut, not a lock nut.

its thread is not a pipe thread

Yikes, I don't understand a single thing of what you said hahaha! I'm horrible with stuff like that, I have absolutely no knowledge at all.

Are you sure the thread is 1-1/4" NPS on your element?

1" NPS, which is the standard water heater element size, is actually ~1-1/4" OD.

If it is actually 1-1/4" NPS, then the thread pitch on those ebay screw nuts is wrong.

In any case, this is a good source for what you're probably looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XEKRR0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What'S NPS and OD?

I remember measuring the diameter of the element's base and it was 1-1/4" so I guess the diameter of the inside of the nut must be 1-1/4 as well right?

Last edited by a moderator:
What'S NPS and OD?

I remember measuring the diameter of the element's base and it was 1-1/4" so I guess the diameter of the inside of the nut must be 1-1/4 as well right?

OD is outer diameter. So the outer diameter of 1 inch pipe is roughly 1 1/4 inches. You need a 1 inch ss lock nut.

measure the outside diameter of the threads of the element.

im pretty sure you've got a 1" NPS element, not 1.25" (these are not nominal values, 1" pipe thread does not actually measure 1"). Sorry to sound confusing, i say blame the brits.

What'S NPS and OD?

NPS is National Pipe Straight thread and OD means Outside Diameter.

The measured largest diameter of a 1" NPS male thread is between 1.281 and 1.293 inches. It's called a 1" pipe thread because the nominal inside diameter (ID) of the pipe is 1".

Back