Bugs eating leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of leaves?

IME, I've found instead of trying to keep the bugs from eating the leaves, it's easier to find something to eat the bugs.

Columbus hops, haven't seen the bugs just holes in the leaves

If it slugs that are eating holes in the leaves try using a commercial product like sluggo, or what I do. Which is incredibly effective is crush egg shells and sprinkle them around the plant. Soft bodied insects won't crawl over the shells. It works for slugs, snails and cutworms, I use this for my hops. Tomatoes, onions. Etc.

Neem oil works great!

I just sprayed my first year ones last night, my columbus and newport look fine but my cascade is getting eaten pretty good...i think i caught it early enough though...

Also laid some organic slug/snail bait a foot out and around every plant...theres a swamp/nature area across the street behind the other houses, so there are a ton of snails...i try to keep the frogs in my yard to eat all the bugs.

I've had good success with Sluggo Plus ("plus" being the keyword...)
I only saw a few snails, but I discovered what was eating my plants was actually pill bugs (rollie-pollies). These guys were notorious for chomping away at the leaves in all of my plants, including the hops. Check out Sluggo Plus if you continue to have problems.

Back