adding extract after pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturkish

Reaction score
had friends over and was getting late, rushed the og reading

there was foam, couldn't tell what the og was - what i know is that the top level of the foam hit 1.04 and the foam was about 1/2 cm thick. I also know that the wort temp was 64 so minus 0.001 there

so i'm guessing the og was 1.049 or 1.054 - either way, it totally missed the mark of 1.065

can i boil 1/2 lb dme in some water, cool it down, add to wort, and take new gravity reading afterwards?

had friends over and was getting late, rushed the og reading

there was foam, couldn't tell what the og was - what i know is that the top level of the foam hit 1.04 and the foam was about 1/2 cm thick. I also know that the wort temp was 64 so minus 0.001 there

so i'm guessing the og was 1.049 or 1.054 - either way, it totally missed the mark of 1.065

can i boil 1/2 lb dme in some water, cool it down, add to wort, and take new gravity reading afterwards?

Sure, you could do that. It may have already started fermenting, so you may not get an accurate OG though.

You can also figure the OG by adding up the ingredients (especially if there is extract in the brew) and if you know the volume of your batch.

One pound of extract will raise the OG of a 5 gallon batch by 9 pounds. I wouldn't bother if I was only using 1/2 pound.

Sure, you could do that. It may have already started fermenting, so you may not get an accurate OG though.

You can also figure the OG by adding up the ingredients (especially if there is extract in the brew) and if you know the volume of your batch.

One pound of extract will raise the OG of a 5 gallon batch by 9 pounds. I wouldn't bother if I was only using 1/2 pound.

cool thanks

i placed the ingredients in this tool, says with an 80% i should've hit 1.065 - i guess i wasn't that efficient

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/29335/zombie-dust

Back