Once Again, I'm worried that i messed up.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
image-3126011130.jpg

I'm still a newbie, this is only my 6th batch & never had problems, except my last batch that was a Vanilla Porter. It turned out to be fine, thanks to all the help from people on this forum. So, here I am, wondering if this batch is alright? It's a Strawberry Wheat extract kit. It was brewed on 5/9. I decide to check on it today and found this. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Attachments

• image-3584581094.jpg
    image-3584581094.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 194
Yup, those are fine. They are yeast rafts, coagulations of flocc'd yeast, trub, and proteins. They should sink if you cold crash.

RDWHAHB!

Revvy said:
Looks as it should.

Cool!!! Once again, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE QUICK REPLIES!!! This place is the best!!!! One last question, the kit came with strawberry flavoring that is suppose to be added one day before bottling, but I want to rack it on some fresh strawberries for a week. My question is, how much strawberries should I use for a 5 gallon batch & should the flavoring still be used if I rack on the strawberries? I want a strawberry flavor that doesn't overpower the beer.

BrewMonkster said:
Cool!!! Once again, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE QUICK REPLIES!!! This place is the best!!!! One last question, the kit came with strawberry flavoring that is suppose to be added one day before bottling, but I want to rack it on some fresh strawberries for a week. My question is, how much strawberries should I use for a 5 gallon batch & should the flavoring still be used if I rack on the strawberries? I want a strawberry flavor that doesn't overpower the beer.

The wonderful thing about flavoring is that you control it. Taste the beer after you use the fresh strawberries. If you need some flavoring, add it a little at a time and taste after you've racked off the fruit and into your bottling bucket.

Side note - wild yeast, bacteria, etc. is usually hitching a ride on fruit. I've always pasteurized mine, but I'm guessing you don't want to do that. I believe you can soak them with campden tablets (sulfates). To get the most flavor some people recommend doing a few freeze/thaw cycles. This post has a bit of info - mead related but still relevant.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/how-do-i-add-strawberries-107640/

brewguyver said:
The wonderful thing about flavoring is that you control it. Taste the beer after you use the fresh strawberries. If you need some flavoring, add it a little at a time and taste after you've racked off the fruit and into your bottling bucket.

Side note - wild yeast, bacteria, etc. is usually hitching a ride on fruit. I've always pasteurized mine, but I'm guessing you don't want to do that. I believe you can soak them with campden tablets (sulfates). To get the most flavor some people recommend doing a few freeze/thaw cycles. This post has a bit of info - mead related but still relevant.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/how-do-i-add-strawberries-107640/

Thanks for the info!!!

Back