Advice for dry hopping my simcoe pale ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I am going to brew a simcoe pale ale all grain kit next week. Hop schedule calls for 1oz of simcoe @ 60, 20, and 2. No dry hops. However, I want to dry hop it, so what should I use? Is simcoe a good dry hopper, or should I use something else? What goes good with simcoe? I've never used it before...

Simcoe is a great dry hop. Check out the Surly Furious kit from Northern Brewer. TONS of Simcoe during boil and dry hop!

Simcoe is a great dry hop. Check out the Surly Furious kit from Northern Brewer. TONS of Simcoe during boil and dry hop!

I agree!

If you want something else in the beer, amarillo goes great with simcoe. I'd try an all simcoe beer, though, so you can really get the character of the hops. If it's too "cat pee" for you, then some amarillo hops or another citrusy hop would be nice in the dryhop.

Have you ever smelled a juniper tree after it rains? Simcoe smells like that..

I agree with the above, simcoe is an excellent dry hop. I would pair it with either Amarillo or citra.

Another vote for Simcoe! I've never picked up on the cat pee aroma that some people don;t like.

Then again I have a cat and literally cannot smell it if she pees on something whereas my wife can.
Hmmm, I'll have to ask her to smell the amber I recently dry hopped and see if it smells like pee to her...

All simcoe pale ale all the way. Shoot 2oz of some whole leaf or pellet. I can smell it already. Mmmmm

I just made a two gallon simcoe IPA.... I tasted my tester the night and was awesome! Stuck em in the fridge tonight to sit a few days. Very very tasty!

I did a SNPA clone and then dry hopped it with Simcoe. Terrific!

Another vote for the all simcoe pale ale. You might as well since the rest of the hops are all simcoe. Regarding the cat pee thing, i've never picked up on it personally. Its definitely a distinct hop though. I think its one of those love it or hate it things...hopefully you love it!

Ok, simcoe it is! I'll order some more today! This beer was meant for some west coasters coming to visit that are hop heads, so I'll stick another 2 oz simcoe for dry hops.

Thanks everyone!

Back